It's easy to get caught up in the sales and gifts each Christmas, scouting out the best deals for your family and friends. For many, Christmas is now mainly a way to get the kids to listen, to show how much you love your partner, cute clothes and gift cards waiting under the tree. Especially with all of the hate and sadness happening in the world, I think we all need to take a minute and remember the real meaning of Christmas.

Whether you're religious or not, it's important to celebrate your family and friends this season. While many use gifts to do this, you can always just log off and spend some quality time.

If you are religious, it's definitely great to keep the reason prominent in your celebration. Everyone does it differently, but for me it's always nice to remember the celebration of Jesus and what he did for us. Many of my friends aren't big on this, however everyone is allowed to interpret the holiday in their own way. (So when you're on Facebook, don't get so upset about people celebrating their religion. It literally does not affect you at all, keep scrolling!) Teach your kiddos that Santa isn't the main event each Christmas, and help them understand what's really going on.

Take a minute this week before Christmas and remember what we're really here for. Your new TV won't remember you when you're gone. Keep your loved ones close and remind them what they mean to you (you should probably do this more than just the holidays, though) and push your problems aside for awhile.

It's also important to remember that not everyone celebrates Christmas. There are many holiday celebrations this time of year, and you wouldn't want someone to be rude to you for what you celebrate. A simple Merry Christmas and a Thank you, or Happy Holidays and a thank you are definitely sufficient.

All this being said, I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas, or happy holiday for whichever you may celebrate!