Ladies, Don't Forget About Your Boobs This October

Love your girls? Don't forget to get them checked regularly!

164
Hailey Powell

October usually means all things spooky- going to haunted houses, dressing up in whatever costume peeked your interest this year, and lots of scary movies.

This month is one of my favorite months for the sole purpose of getting to step out of your comfort zone and be something you usually aren't. I never think about the true meaning of the month, only the festivities celebrated within it.

This July my aunt got diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma breast cancer this past July. When I got the call, I had just landed in Florida and was planning to have a relaxing week on the beach not a worry in the world.

Suddenly, I get a call that could change my whole families lives forever. I don't think at first I could actually believe it, you always see it on the movies, but you never think it will happen to anyone you know-let alone someone so near and dear to your heart.

We got results back that it had spread to her lymph nodes. At this point, everyone was relaying what the doctors were saying, but none of it really made sense.

I figured she would go through extensive treatments that would make her weak and brittle. Just the thought of this was terrifying.

Now, four months later, the month of October has so much more meaning than it ever had before.

I realize that the pink wasn't to support a woman that I didn't know who bravely got her boobs reconstructed.

It was now showing support for a member of my own family, someone who is like a second mom to me, someone who has helped raise me into the woman

I have become today, and lastly, someone who loves their body just the way God made it and didn't ask for this horrible disease to do invade her womanhood.

On this note, you should not be forgetting your regular check-ups on your girls and your monthly self-examinations.

It is a crucial part of being a woman, making sure that everything in your body is working the way that it is supposed to. Checking that everything looks right. If not, take the right steps to fix whatever is detected as unusual.

Luckily, we know our bodies pretty well and sometimes you can tell when something isn't right.

This month of October has those woman in your prayers that have had to undergo surgery or treatment. Pray for the families and their loved ones, that they will be strong in this time of sickness. Pray for these women with love and sympathy.

“She is clothed in strength and dignity and laughs without fear of the future." -Proverbs 31:25