Contrary To Popular Belief, I Am Not Your Stereotype, Nor Do I Fit Your Label

Labels and stereotypes destroy society.

141
Jon Tyson

Here's what I consider to be a fun fact about me. I was raised by my mother, a single parent. I'm aware of the statistics out there that show how the struggle is real for single-parent families – especially African-Americans and minorities in general. Despite knowing all of this, I was still caught off-guard when one of my classmates in the private Christian school I attended asked me if I received food stamps. When I replied "no," he seemed shocked, and I was even more shocked to be asked that question. It took me a few years after graduating from that school to tell my mom, who has worked at the same place for about thirty years, about it. She was pissed and even after the years have passed, I still find it shocking to be asked that question.

Without a father in the house, stereotypes and labels say that I should be in jail with no signs of a future. Yet, like the "food stamp" question in high school, for me and many others who grew up in single-parent homes, nothing can be further from the truth.

The truth is, stereotypes and labels cause my mom anxiety whenever I go out with friends (more so when the group is black) or walk the streets of Downtown Orlando. I’m a young black man and although I’ve been taught to obey those who are in positions of authority, a stereotype or label breeds enough fear in police officers to have them reach for their gun first and ask questions later whenever they see a young, black male of my height and size. As a matter of fact, a cop shared with me last year that black people are bigger targets to them due to them being potential violent threats. Even when I was with a group of predominantly white friends attending an event at the Amway Arena, I was the only one that was stopped and searched head to toe by a security guard.

This is not only my reality, but reality to many others, regardless of race. To me, All Lives Matter; but just try telling that to a person who believes in stereotypes and labels.

It really goes without saying, that stereotypes and labels have always been a part of society, but it seems they are especially prevalent today. A person's outward appearance seems to show their true anatomy; however, in reality, not everyone lives up to the stereotype or the label that people place on them. As a society, we should aim to tear down the walls of stereotypes and labels, but there is one LARGE thing that stands in the way and will always prevent it from happening: pride.

Pride is the substance that clogs the arteries in people and prevents the blood from flowing effectively. It prevents you from being a compassionate human being who thinks outside of yourself and does not allow the stereotypes and labels to run free. Think about it for a second. NFL players took a knee to protest injustice and inequalities in the African-American community after several young black men were killed. They repeatedly stated that it wasn't to protest the National Anthem or the American flag. Yet, individuals took to Twitter and other forms of social media to call them thugs, losers, and troublemakers among other names because they chose this form of civil protest. Here they were, standing up for something greater than themselves; but because they were perceived to be disrespectful and did something differently than someone else, they were labeled and placed into the stereotypes of being ungrateful and anti-American.

How disheartening!

When it comes to making efforts toward tearing down labels and stereotypes, it's easier said than done.

Putting one's pride aside isn't easy, but nothing worth having is ever easy. One of the things that would help eliminate stereotypes and labels would be to listen before you speak. Listening is hard work because it requires a person to stop talking. The reward is that you learn something new about a person that might change your perspective.

As a journalism student, I'm guilty of this. Talking to people is part of my job, and quite frankly, it's the only way to write a good story. But sometimes it's not easy to go up and talk to someone, especially if they look like they don't want to speak to you. It's easy to stay away from people who may look mean, but you could risk missing out on getting to know a really cool person. When you learn, “you can’t judge a book by its cover,” some of my best stories have resulted in my leaving my comfort zone and going up to a person and asking, "Hi, can I ask you a few questions for a story I'm working on?"

Stereotypes and labels divide us as a people. For example, political labels and stereotypes circulate the internet and the news. It consumes people in such a way that it dominates the conversation in certain cases and it floods the safe havens of the world, such as the church and school. Seemingly, it makes a person feel powerful to be able to go on social media or other avenues to rip others to shreds.

Voicing these stereotypes and labels often leads to cliques being formed and people of like minds beginning to gather around and form opinions about other people without any facts. Stereotyping and labeling are foolish and childish and they know no age limit. A lot of the world's problems would be solved and it would be a much better place to live in if we did away with stereotypes and labels.

There are so many things about this that make my blood boil and breaks my heart. But what’s really, really sad is the effect stereotyping and labeling is having on our younger generations. It reaches to elementary school and young children are taking their lives. Sure, bullying (that’s another story) has something to do with it, but stereotypes and labels are causing a rise in suicide by children and young people who will never have the chance to go to a school dance, have a good friend, graduate from school or just experience life because the pressure of society was too much for them to handle.

The bottom line is once we realize labels should be used for products, and stereotypes should have no place in society, then maybe, just maybe, change will come.