20 Things Only Seattleites Will Understand

It's socially acceptable to put your gum on a wall for decoration, wear socks with Birkenstocks, and take a casual stroll in the rain.

895

You're probably not from the Greater Seattle Area if any of the below surprise you:

1. How to pronounce Issaquah, Puyallup, Sequim, Mukilteo, and Snohomish.

Mukilteo Lighthouse

Nicepik

If you're curious, it's is-uh-cwa, pew-al-up, s-kwim, muh-kill-tea-oh, and snow-hoe-mih-sh.

2. The sheer terror one inch of snow can bring to a population.

Unsplash

Winter is simply not our season.

3. Being from Seattle (but not really from Seattle).

Where are you from? Snohomish. Where's that? A little bit Southeast of Everett. Where? Seattle. I live in Seattle.

4. RBIS.

Freepik

Redbull Italian sodas are the MOVE. So good. Not really good for you, but really yummy nonetheless. They don't really look like this picture but you get the idea.

5. Swimming is an indoor sport.

Nicepik

Brrrrrrrrrrrrr.

6. Air conditioning is a luxury.

Nicepik

I think I know approximately 5 people with AC units in their houses. It's not because it never gets hot because it does but it's hot for like 2 seconds of the year.

7. Eastern and Western Washington are different countries.

Eastern Washington Palouse

Unsplash

It's kind of like Narnia once you've crossed the Cascades.

8. Grey-Sloan Memorial Hospital doesn't exist.

BlogSpot

I don't know if that's the most updated version of the hospital (no spoilers please), but regardless, Grey's Anatomy is very confused on the geography and overall layout of the city. But it's a good show, so whatever.

9. Socks & sandals.

Unsplash

I can't explain it, but it works... A fit for all seasons.

10. Tap water anywhere else is just not the same.

Everypixel

It's just... different. Not in a good way.

11. Honking is a sin.

Unsplash

Instead, politely smile and curse under your breath you let another terrible driver merge in front of you. Avoid the confrontation at all costs; save the horn for saying hi to those people that stand with signs on street corners.

12. 

Space Needle

BizJournals

Not many cities have a similar collective passion for not just one, but all, professional sports teams. Of course, the city's pride for 12s is something else.

13. If you use an umbrella, you're weak.

Unsplash

It's survival of the fittest out here.

14. Portland is JV Seattle.

Portland, Oregon

Everypixel

We were cool first.

15. The flannel lives on.

Nicepik

She knows what's up.

16. Dick's.

Nicepik

Get your head out of the gutter. It's a burger place.

17. Ferries are a common form of transportation.

Allfreedownload.com

Want to go see a drive in movie? Get some ice cream on Whidbey? Go to your cabin on the San Juans? Visit Sequim (ha)? Walk or drive on the ferry. Easy.

18. Lakes > beaches.

Nothing beats the mountains, wineries, boating, and cliff jumping opportunities on the lake. It's carefree, fresh water, and of course, beautiful.

19. Coffee.

Unsplash

Nobody really does it like we do, let's be real.

20. It doesn't actually rain thaaaaaat much.

I'm pretty sure there are a bunch of East Coast cities that get more rain than we do. It's just got that gloom that makes you feel like it might as well be raining, you know? Raise your hand if you're vitamin D deficient! Woo!