Cardi B And Megan Thee Stallion's 'WAP' Doesn't Sit Right With Me

Here comes the angry mob of stans...

101

On August 6, 2020, Cardi B released her new single 'WAP' with Megan the Stallion. As of writing this article, the music video has over 15 million views. I watched the music video and the uncensored song for myself and it's... something. While everyone and their mother are ranting and raving about the song, I have something to say. To preface this right now, this is not a personal attack on Cardi B., Megan thee Stallion, or the people involved in the making of the song, this is just my personal view.

I'm personally not into Rap/Hip Hop but I gave the song a listen and watch because it's the hot new song at the moment. The music video takes place in a fictional mansion with...well...lots of shamelessness. While some people find the song and music video to be rebellious and alluring, I found the song and music video to be generic and degrading. Why is that? Let me explain.

The acronym 'WAP' stands for 'wet ass pussy,' which is a generic topic used by most female rappers. Most female rappers often rap about how their "pussy is so wet," and how they can "ride that dick" in 176 ways. Just like how most male rappers brag about their expensive possessions and how many "bitches" they have had sex with, most female rappers will rap about how "wet" they are and how a man wants to "rearrange their guts." Not all rappers rap about these topics, but its rather repetitive and boring.

It's not only a generic rap song, but its also degrading. Throughout the music video, the women are dressed in a scantily clad way and they dance in a very provocative way. Before you guys call me a self-hating pick-me, I don't have a problem with women being a "thot", but it's NOT personality trait.

There's more to you than just your sexuality. You have hobbies, you (probably) have a family, you (probably) have an occupation that you enjoy. You are a human being first.

Oh. I almost forgot one thing...

The Jezebel stereotype was often used to degrade African American women, thus making them sexual objects. During the times of American slavery, white males would rape black women and their rape would be seen as illegitimate because they thought that black women were naturally promiscuous. Black women always talk about how they don't want to be seen as objects but engage in the stereotypical behavior that they abhor. What was displayed in the 'WAP' music was a promotion of that stereotype but instead of a higher power doing the stereotyping, they are doing the stereotyping themselves.

So what do I think about 'WAP?' In the words of Randy Jackson, "It's a no for me dawg." It's just another generic rap that's degrading and it promotes a 2-century old stereotype. If your that type of person to brag about your sexual prowess, you do you (unless if you threaten a personal relationship of mine, then it's on). Again, this isn't a personal attack on Cardi B., Megan thee Stallion, or the people involved, this is just my personal opinion. If you got offended by reading this article, then I don't know what to tell you.