Best Gift This Holiday Season

Choosing To Donate To Charity Is The Gift That Keeps On Giving During The Holidays

These charities make a bigger impact on our communities but don't have the resources to advertise.

38

As the year ends, and we return to our New Year resolutions made at the beginning of the year we wonder where the time went. Besides the personal goals of eating right or losing those extra pounds we put on last year, many of us made a resolution to give to a charity. Whether it was our time, monetary contributions, or items we have stored for another year that can be of use to someone in need. There are local charities in most towns that don't get the support like Red Cross or Good Will. These charities make a bigger impact on our communities but don't have the resources to advertise.

"A Gift for Teaching" is a charitable organization that helps teachers in the Central Florida area with much-needed school supplies. Becoming a teacher is an honorable career choice, and the dedication and expense of this career are sometimes overwhelming. Imagine those wide-eyed innocent children eager to learn yet don't have most of the necessities to meet their goals.

This organization was established in 1998 and some of their sponsors include Disney, SeaWorld, Staples, and Universal Orlando. Charity drives in companies all over the Central Florida area collect school supplies at the end of summer before the semester begins, but there is an even bigger need for donations after the holiday season. Many of the children in this area will go without the much-needed supplies to complete the year. That is why it is important to go outside the box and remember, the school year has not ended, and neither is the need for school supplies.

They accept non-perishable food, clothing, file cabinets, chairs, stationary, calendars, pens, recycled paper, and miscellaneous items like key chains, stress balls, hand sanitizer, and unused grab bag items plus the bags many companies distribute at conferences and expos. These items can and will be repurposed by a creative teacher. The warehouse accepts donations of any size and will be happy to give a tour as well. During that downtime between holidays if your plan is to clean out your office and reorganize, put the items in a box and take it down and check that resolution off your list for 2018.

Don't work in an office or have school supplies to donate, then how about giving of yourself? "One Blood" is a not-for-profit organization that supports 200 hospitals throughout Florida. They employ more than 2,000 people, in over 80 donor centers and have nearly 200 "Big Red Buses" for blood drives. Each whole blood donation has the potential to save up to three lives. At the time of a donation, you will receive a free wellness checkup that includes blood pressure, pulse, temperature, cholesterol screening, and iron count. One fact most are not aware, donating on a regular basis may help your blood flow and results in a less arterial blockage. Studies have shown that men who donate at least 3 times a year can reduce the risk of having a heart attack or stroke. This is a win/win, so give them a call and schedule a donation at one of their facilities in the Orlando area.

One of the most important charities in Central Florida is "Harbor House of Central Florida." This organization is not only a domestic violence shelter, but it also has the resources to focus on prevention and elimination of this life-altering experience. Their mission statement says it all, "Harbor House works to prevent and eliminate domestic abuse in Central Florida by providing critical life-saving services to survivors, implementing and advancing best practices, and educating and engaging the community in a united front."

The Harbor House has a donation wish list on their site, most of the items are for personal care, some domestic items like towels, pots and pans, silverware, cleaning supplies, and most importantly baby needs. Most of us will never know what it is like to be a victim of someone's physical and emotional abuse, however, there is an epidemic in our country that can only be destroyed by getting involved and understanding the warning signs: https://www.helpguide.org/articles/abuse/domestic-violence-and-abuse.htm.

People who are being abused may:

• Seem afraid or anxious to please their partner
  • Go along with everything their partner says and does
  • Check in often with their partner to report where they are and what they're doing
  • Receive frequent, harassing phone calls from their partner
  • Talk about their partner's temper, jealousy, or possessiveness
  • Have frequent injuries, with the excuse of "accidents"
  • Frequently miss work, school, or social occasions, without explanation
  • Dress in clothing designed to hide bruises or scars (e.g. wearing long sleeves in the summer or sunglasses indoors)
  • Be restricted from seeing family and friends
  • Rarely go out in public without their partner
  • Have limited access to money, credit cards, or the car
  • Have very low self-esteem, even if they used to be confident
  • Show major personality changes (e.g. an outgoing person becomes withdrawn)
  • Be depressed, anxious, or suicidal

There is a shelter like Harbor House in every town across the United States. Volunteering and donating your time or money to this charity is one of the best gifts you can give this holiday season.