Donald Trump Is America's Racist Uncle, Though He Would Never Admit It

Donald Trump doesn't think he's racist, just like your uncle who you don't invite to family events anymore doesn't think he is.

208
Gage Skidmore

Ever since the beginning of the 2016 election, when he called Mexican immigrants drug dealers and rapists, many have branded Donald Trump a racist, a bigot, and a xenophobe. Some have even compared him to Adolph Hitler. While these comparisons are completely unfounded and delusional, America's first Orange President has made no effort to disprove the charges of racism levied against him, in fact, he has made a habit of stoking the fires even further.

This brings me to my question: Is Donald Trump racist? I personally don't believe so, at least not in the old-fashioned sense of the word. What I mean by that is that the definition of racism has changed quite radically in recent years.

Racism used to mean that you consciously favored members of your own race in comparison to others, and took discriminatory action against other races.

Nowadays, the focus has moved away from overt favoritism, and shifted towards unconscious biases that people don't even know that they have, with some companies such as Google forcing their employees to attend trainings that are meant to get rid of these biases.

So does Donald Trump have implicit biases? Certainly, he does, but so does everyone. Even the most objective person in the world uses a slew of biases every day. No matter how much you try to escape them, biases are hardwired into our brains and are a part of everything that we do.

However, while Donald Trump is not explicitly racist, it has not stopped him from saying and doing some pretty questionable things in regards to race.

For example, during a meeting with the Congressional Black Caucus, President Trump was reportedly surprised to learn that the black lawmakers didn't know fellow black person Ben Carson personally, which probably means that Donald Trump believes that every black person knows every other black person.

Additionally, it has been reported that during White House meetings, Trump has used a mock Indian accent to mimic Indian prime minister Narendra Modi. Trump has also reportedly said that all Haitians have AIDS, Nigerians live in "mud huts," and has called pretty much all of Africa a "shithole."

To put this whole thing in perspective, let's look at it this way: imagine you're going home for Thanksgiving dinner, and your uncle begins to talk. He starts his sentence with "I'm not racist, but..." and goes into a rant about something that he thinks isn't racist because of his lack of education, but everyone else knows is racist and the whole room gets super uncomfortable.

Donald Trump is America's racist uncle.

Does he do and say those things because he's racist? No, he only does it because those racist things are what he grew up with, and that's all he knows, and he never bothered to step out of his bubble and learn anything different. So is Donald Trump racist? Probably, but Donald Trump doesn't seem to think so, and neither does your racist uncle who voted for him.