Why We Need to Use the Title 'President'

The solid thing we have to rely on in all the craziness is respect.

12

When it comes to free speech, how far is too far? While watching a TV show one time, I was appalled at how flippantly the host referred to our president. There was no hesitation in poking fun at him. What really got me thinking, though, aside from the jokes and the mockery, was that there was no proper title in front of "Trump." He was not referred to as President. Let's switch parties and years for a second and realize that President Obama seemed to always be simply called "Obama."

It's a one-word difference. But it's a big deal.

I can remember when I was little I used to always refer to President Bush as "President Bush." That's what I heard him called by the people around me. There was a definite title that separated him from just any other citizen. Not at all saying that our presidents are to be put on a pedestal and worshiped, but, just as a boss is above their employees, our president is indeed our superior. No matter the party or stances, no matter the decisions made, they are in charge. And you better believe we need someone in charge! We don't have to blindly agree with them - that's where free speech is a great thing! - but we do need to respect them. I think this concept has been breaking down throughout the years. The people in office change, yes, but our level of respect cannot.

If we would hear a child call their parent by their first name, after maybe laughing a little bit, we would ultimately be pretty shocked that they didn't use "mom" or "dad." Using their parent's first name seems to put them on the same level. They refer to friends by their first names, but their parents are authority figures, just like Mrs. So-and-so their teacher and Officer So-and-so the policeman. They show respect for their positions by using the proper title. I know there are some tweaks to rules and exceptions we learn as we grow older, but I don't think respect is one of those things. Respect is respect, no matter how old you are. If we're teaching kids to use titles, then our President, whether we agree with him or not, deserves one from us, too.

I don't want to see respect be a completely lost art in our world: it's vital to our existence. We are blessed to live in a country where there are balanced powers; we are not at the mercy of an out-of-control, ruthless dictator. We are not. Maybe our leadership is not perfect, but has it ever been or will it ever be? There's always going to be mistakes in the Oval Office until we would have God Himself in there. There's chaos of opinions and accusations and blame and uncertainty. The solid thing we have to rely on in all the craziness is respect. Respect not only for our leader, but for each other, binds and strengthens our country. You give it, you get it. One little title of "President" may not seem like a lot, but when something as crucial as respect is on the line, I think we can take another second to include it.