Donald Trump and John Bolton: Two Minds Alike

Various news outlets claim Donald Trump will fire McMaster and replace him with John Bolton. Bolton made himself very clear that he prefers military action above anything else as shown by his Wall Street op-ed about North Korea and his New York Times op-ed about Iran.

Thus, many foreign policy experts lay caution in choosing John Bolton. However, Bolton’s preference for military action isn’t anomalous. In past administrations, hawkish advisers dictated the President’s foreign policy decisions as shown by Libya and Iraq. Many foreign policy experts think the President did not intend to inflict aggression, but, in all actuality, the President chose to follow their hawkish advisers.

The President follows American exceptionalism, the idea of America as a morally superior country to any nation on earth, and so do those hawkish advisers. American exceptionalism validates the act of aggression because if America is so superior, then the country has a right to intervene in a country’s domestic affairs. All Presidents believe in American exceptionalism, especially President Trump. As a hardcore believer, President Trump wants to engage in a war with North Korea to bring “democracy” by force-and John Bolton can validate him with his decision. President Trump chose Bolton because both of them have a penchant for aggression.

President Trump’s rhetoric regarding North Korea is nothing new. To illustrate, President Trump called Kim Jong Un “rocket man” and pledged to bring “fire and fury” to the country. By mocking the country and their leader, President Trump does not take the country’s nuclear arsenal seriously. By not taking the arsenal seriously, Trump sincerely believes in the power of the American military taking down the Kim regime. Even after he accepts Kim’s invite to talk, Trump still maintains his preference for the military option, especially when he plans to kick out McMaster for Bolton.

President Trump solidifies his stance on the military option after his time of constantly watching Fox News where John Bolton makes appearances. By appearing on Fox News constantly, Bolton will always be in President Trump’s mind. Hence, President Trump wants Bolton to replace McMaster because he and Bolton share the belief of the military option. McMaster and Trump also share the belief of the military option, but McMaster voices his aggression in a tame way or, in other words, Presidential English.

McMaster claims North Korea is un-deterrable because nobody can fathom the idea of a totalitarian regime having a nuclear arsenal. Meanwhile, Trump yells out for flat out bombings and plunder. Even after Trump has to translate his statements into Presidential English, he is still itching to yell out for bombings and plunder as he continues to call Kim Jong Un “rocket man” in his appearances and in his tweets. Bolton yells out for bombings and plunder, too, but in the form of written op-eds and eloquent (to Trump’s mind, at least, don’t judge me) news appearances.

If Trump wants to translate his eagerness for bombings and plunder into Presidential English, he does not want McMaster, who will just say “we’re running out of time” instead of the classic “fire and fury.”

President Trump wants John Bolton, who will say “fire and fury” in the middle of words combining to speak Presidential English to the public regarding the war in North Korea.