Donald Trump Wants To Build A Wall... But Then What?

"I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me" -Donald Trump

57
National Geographic

"I would build a great wall, and nobody builds walls better than me, believe me, and I'll build them very inexpensively — I will build a great, great wall on our southern border,” said Donald Trump. A very promising and aspiring proposal it would seem by the president-elect: building a wall to restrict illegal immigrants access to the United States while allowing those willing to come legally to enter. However, nothing is that simple. A wall would simply be a waste of billions, with a “b”, of dollars in federal funds and tax payers' money. Oh, Donald, did you really think it would be that easy to control millions of people?

One might believe that building a 2,000-mile wall to separate the United States and Mexico would completely eliminate the current immigration problem; one couldn’t be further from the truth. One must take a look at every aspect of building a border wall. First, the cost: Roughly 700 miles of fencing is already installed in between the two nations, which means there is still 1,300 miles of border open. If the United States were to complete the rest of the border, it would cost around $16 million per mile, which would add up to about $25 billion; exceeding NASA’s annual budget of $19 billion profoundly. The United States would also have to maintain the wall, which would cost around $750 million per year. This would be a threat to tax payers' money and already colossal debt.

Secondly, one must acquire knowledge about how immigrants are gaining access to the United States and it isn’t on the ground. It is estimated that around 40 percent of all illegal immigrants currently residing in the United States, came by plane and simply overstayed their Visas. "It’s a completely absurd idea. Why would you want to build a 1,900-mile wall between Mexico and the United States if almost 40 percent of all immigrants come by plane and they overstay their visas?" said Jorge Ramos, a news anchor on Univision and Fusion.

Thirdly, building a wall would not decrease the amount of the illegal immigration is something called “circular flow”. The host of Adam Ruins Everything, Adam Conover, explains this process very well, “For decades, immigration to the United States was a circular flow. People would come, work for a bit and then after they were done, they would go home to their families.” Also during the segment, Princeton professor, Douglas S. Massey, stated that during the Reagan and Clinton administrations, both presidents increased border security, stopping the circular flow. It didn’t keep illegal immigrants out, it kept them in. The illegal immigrants then decided to stay, which made illegal immigration rise 248 percent.

Lastly, Some people might also ask, “why don’t immigrants simply come legally, then become a citizen?” But to contrary belief, it is not that simple. This extensive citizenship process takes about 5 years for a person to became a United States citizen. This absurd and unnecessary longevity is what forces immigrants to enter the United States illegally. Some areas in Mexico are so hostile, that families are forced to leave. With a shortening of the citizenship process, the United States can admit more legal citizens and decrease the number of illegal immigrants.

A border wall would simply be a desolation of billions of dollars, with little to no positive results. The money could otherwise be used to strengthen the American infrastructure, support welfares programs, build roads or support American schools and education. A border wall in neither plausible nor beneficial economically or socially.