First Week Of Classes

It's The First Week Of Classes And All I Can Say Is I'm Doing The Best I Can

There are a few errs but enough wins to mark my first week a success so far.

15
College

At the start of a semester, there are often two options. Either you set out with new plans or fall back into old habits. Personally, I try to establish some beneficial patterns of behavior in the beginning: doing tasks early, sleeping regularly, organizing, etc. Yet, despite the best of intentions, the ideal can often be hard to grasp and maintain.

Bad news first. I can barely find time to do my work. Thankfully, I manage to squeeze them in with a bit of sleep sacrifice. It's not that I don't have a lot of time. It's just—I can't say no to distractions, a severely old habit of mine, which makes it hard to get my pertinent but easier tasks out of the way.

As mentioned before, I am also finding it hard to get the proper amount of sleep. I aim for eight to nine hours of sleep because different people need different hours, and I, unfortunately, need quite a few to function properly, especially since I do not drink coffee or caffeinated tea in the morning to give me a boost. I am guilty of already dozing off in one class, though it was near the end, so I didn't miss much. It's just—I'm paying for the class, so I want the most out of it. Also, I sit directly in the front middle seat, so…

On the other hand, this is not meant to be an article purely lamenting because I am doing the best I can, and I have a few wins to share. I have managed to get to all my classes early, and I am not lacking in any of the supplies I need for them. Though I'm not getting the sleep I need, I am still getting a pretty decent amount, and I hope to only go up from here.

Here's a big one. My room is still clean. I established a system of organization and I am making an effort not to leave the room until I put everything extraneous back in its designated area. I don't want to be a messy roommate. Plus, things are much easier to find when they are where they're supposed to be.

I started jogging the first day of classes, so I couldn't convince myself that I wouldn't have the time. I plan to keep at it. I need to stay in shape, and it is great preparation for Humans vs. Zombies. I need to be able to outrun the dead.

What I am most proud of, even though it is not done, is my color-coded Google calendar. I upgraded the system to make it more detailed. I can keep track of classes, clubs, events, assignments, exams, etc. So when my memory fails me (as it is wont to do due to that pesky sleep deprivation), I have something to fall back on that probably only I can understand, to be honest.

I am making an effort to drink plenty of water and squeeze in breakfast to start my day with useful nutrients, so though it is only the first week and though I may have tripped a bit at the gate, I'm doing pretty good for myself. The semester is looking bright from here.

Remember, even if you start reverting to those old habits, it is never too late to try to fix or alter them. Don't resign yourself to your fate. It only takes some proactivity and the determination to keep trying. I may not have accomplished all I set out to do, but I'm working towards my goals because college can be difficult sometimes. I don't want to make the experience any harder for myself.