Dogs Are A Girl's Best Friend, Too

Dogs Are A Girl's Best Friend, Too

They are not just a man's best friend. They are everyones.

279
Dogs Are A Girl's Best Friend, Too
Katie DeBois

Growing up, we were constantly told that diamonds are a girl’s best friend, and dogs are a man’s best friend. In fact, we still hear that today, and I want to say that dogs are a girl’s best friend too. Dogs are lovable and loyal companions, and these are characteristics that lead them to be anyone’s best friend.

Dogs are these lovable creatures that show nothing but love for their owners. Growing up, I’ve always had a dog in my life and I’ve been exposed to this lovable companionship. When I was born, my mom and dad had a dog. Then when I was my two, my older brother got his first dog. This dog was around with us until I was fourteen, and this dog always was loving towards us.

Whenever I had a bad day in school, this dog would come up to me and lick my face. Was it gross? Yes, but when a dog licks your face it’s their form of kissing you and expressing their gratitude that you’re home. I didn’t have many friends back then, and this dog was my first friend.

This same dog also did some crazy things when I was growing up. He would run away at least weekly, and everyone within five miles of my house knew our dog. They would see him roaming the streets, and we would get countless calls from people who we did not know, saying they found our dog.

Even with all of the frustration this dog caused my family and me, when he was with us, he would cuddle with all of us on the couch, sleep on our stomachs, and just be adorable. No matter what he did, during the day he would come home and show us he loves us. My family and I reciprocated it back, and he did this all the time up until he died. I loved this dog, and he was my first best friend.

Dogs are loyal, and they are loyal to a fault. When I was in fourth grade, we got our second dog and this dog and I became best friends on the car ride back to my house. She slept on my lap, and we built our initial bond there, and over time she became my best friend.

There would be days when my dog knew something was up and she would run to me, and just stand by me. I have no idea how she knew, but she did and she stood by me. This is loyalty, this same dog also barks like mad whenever she thinks there’s a possibility of an intruder coming into my house.

Whether it’s the doorbell ringing, the sight of something that’s not one of my family members, or the smell of something that’s not usually in my house, my dog will bark non-stop until she knows it’s safe. She will do whatever it takes to “scare” the possible intruder away.

My dog is a cocker spaniel and is maybe thirty pounds. She is a small dog, and she tries to scare away big people. One time, this dog scared away the Great Dane that lives next door to me, and I laughed. This Great Dane simply was minding her own business, on her side of the fence, but my dog saw her and started barking at this dog, all because my dog wanted to protect us.

That exudes loyalty, and being loyal is imperative in any good friendship. Being loyal shows that you’re willing to stand by your friend when someone might hurt them, when times are rough, or even when they’re not being an ideal friend at the moment. My dogs do that.

My dog is my best friend, and I am a girl. Dogs can be anyone’s best friend, despite their gender. They’re just cute and adorable animals.