5 Weird Things Dog Parents Do

Being a dog parent has been around for a while, however, it's become increasingly more popular in recent years to refer to yourself as such. It's something young adults are taking so much pride in that it's actually changed the pet industry. There are doggy day cares, more travel places are pet-friendly, they even have happy hours for you and your dog and other people with dogs so everyone can just be friends. Regardless of how we got here, it's a beautiful place where we're at. However, it doesn't stop us dog parents from doing some weird things or having some weird habits because we're so loyal and in love with our furbabies. Here are just a few off things we do:

Have poop bags in every nook and cranny

Seems weird that someone would go to pull out a lip gloss from their bag and a doggy poop bag comes out with it, no? Well, not to us. We always have to be prepared in case our pup needs to go at any given moment. From every type of bag or purse you own to ever jacket that you have, whether you've used it or not in the past 6 months, probably has some type of bag in it. It's not weird, it's for your baby, duh!

Comparing your dog to other people's children

Susie from work is talking about how her two year old keeps getting into everything and then is up all night and you respond with "Oh my goodness, Cooper too! He's like a toddler, always need to be watching him, and then last night he wanted to sleep in the bed and kept moving around all night - ugh! I totally get it". And Susie, bless her soul, then hates you because your dog's name is Cooper and you had a whole conversation that ended up with you comparing her child, who she birthed, to your dog. It's not that weird, but non-dog parents definitely think it is.

Have treats everywhere

Talk about having poop bags everywhere - you have training treats, milk bones, rawhide sticks, any other type of rewarding snack available at any given time. You don't know when your dog is going to be such a good girl or boy that they'll deserve a treat but you also need to make sure that you can reward other people's dogs (with asking permission first, duh), when they're a good boy or girl as well!

Carry a lint roller with you

Or just live with the massive amount of hair that's attached to your clothes at all times - it really could go either way. You either are the type that you're always prepared with a lint roller because you love your dog so much but also don't want to look like you slept in the dog's bed instead of your own or you just embrace it and don't give a crap what anyone thinks about you wearing you pup's hair. It's really a preference - or just a day by day - thing that most dog parents tend to look past when it comes to other dog parents.

Talk to other dogs like they know your dog

Complete stranger is walking by and you notice they have an adorable pup who is making eye contact with you. So naturally, you ask if you can pet the dog and the owner says yes. And what do you do next? You say things like "Oh, I bet you smell Murphy on me! Yes, Murphy is my baby and you two would be beeeeest friends! You're so cute. Don't tell Murphy I said that but yes you are" and so on. Because obviously that dog is going to someday meet my dog and someday will tell him that I called him cute even though I am a loyal, loving dog parent. Don't tell Murphy though. Please.

At the end of the day, we're all human and our dogs deserve the best. So yes, these things (which I just scratched the surface of all weird dog parent behavior) sound silly, but they make it totally worth it because that pup is your baby and your best friend. And you wouldn't have it any other way.