From The Girl Who Likes To Party And Doesn’t Care If You Don’t

Does it really matter if you party in college?

Brittany Greve
42

Lately, I’ve seen a lot of articles floating around my Facebook feed dedicated to the people who don’t party in college. A lot of them sing the same tune; they’re the outcasts, they’re staying true to themselves, they’re rising above the college stereotype. It might be inspiring to read these articles about people who haven’t succumbed to peer pressure, but here’s the thing — nobody cares if you don’t party in college. Seriously, nobody cares.

I’m not saying this out of anger or bitterness. In fact, I identify with these kinds of articles more than you might think. I'm a petite, 5'0" girl and I can't party night after night without almost literally dying.

But that doesn’t mean that I’m opposed to the party lifestyle. I don’t think that the amount of alcohol you consume as a college student is a good indicator of your worth as a person. You can’t judge someone by the number of shots they down in the dark corner of a frat house the Saturday before finals week.

Your friends will go out and have the time of their lives, and you’ll get to stay in and have the time of your life too. Your real friends are the ones who don’t care and don’t judge. So why would you care or judge them for going out to those frat parties on the weekends?

Not partying in college is more common than you might think. In fact, I soon learned that no matter where you are, there will always be at least one other person who isn’t into that kind of lifestyle either. You’re not rare or special because you don’t want to go to a college party— you just have different preferences! It’s fine to be different, but it’s not okay to think that your aversion to parties makes you more special than others.

Not partying in college doesn’t somehow make you a better person, and partying doesn’t make you cooler. You’re not rising above some immoral college stereotype; you’re just doing what you want to do, just like the people who party are doing what they want to do. If you don’t want others to judge you for your lifestyle, don’t judge others for theirs. We’re only in college for a short amount of time anyway, why waste any of it worrying about what other people think?

Sincerely,

The girl who likes to party and doesn’t care if you don’t party