Does Humanity Or Talent Matter More?

Does Humanity Or Talent Matter More?

When the most talented turn most bad, do they still stay special?

2
Does Humanity Or Talent Matter More?
Dollar Bail

This is a topic that has weighed heavily on my mind for years. Long before the notorious Stanford student Brock Turner case happened, there have been many cases just like it. Cases of star athletes committing heinous crimes and getting away with it, getting minimum to no punishment has been going on for years. Sadly enough, the Brock Turner case and more recently, the David Becker case, are not solitary cases.

We see time after time after time athletes getting special treatment simply for the fact that they are good at a sport. This special treatment and reports are often seen in the NFL with football players. There have been dozens of players arrested for assault, battery, domestic violence, sexual assault, child abuse, and other horrible crime charges, and shockingly only a few actually see jail time or face actual repercussions. For example, kicker for the New York Giants was recently arrested on a domestic violence charge. He has been released since, and if that wasn't bad enough, Brown has been re-signed by the Giants and is only being suspended for one game. I repeat a man who has multiple domestic violence allegations is only being suspended for one freaking game. Brown is not the only player who has been allowed what could basically be called a free pass. There have been dozens of other players who have gotten away with committing crimes because they are good at their sport.

I don't understand. Please tell me why these people are being treated as if they are better than everyone else, why don't laws apply to them? Why do they get to do what they want, do bad things, and still get to live their dreams and passions while the victims of their acts get left with nothing but the scars?

Hearing cases like these NFL ones or the David Becker case makes my blood boil. In 2016 alone, there are at least sixteen records of arrests against players. Some of the players do get released from their teams, but there are more who don't get released. They get a slap on the wrist and then they are sent back in on the field. Where is the justice? And also, what kind of message is this for young kids, the future generations?

When young kids see these athletes commit crimes and then return the field just a short time later, what do they learn? More often than not, the punishment is not getting shown, but their return to sports. Kids are impressionable, and they look up to these athletes and stars, hoping to be just like them one day. These people are supposed to be role models, and instead they use their power to break the law and use their status to get away with it. This sends a horrible message to children, showing them that it's okay to treat others like dirt and that you can get away with it as long as your famous or talented. This is not okay.

When does being good at a sport triumph being a decent human being? The answer should be never, but sadly being talented at sports, or other things, often gets people out of being a law-abiding, good, person.

We need to change, our values, our justice system. We need to do it now. We can't afford to let another child be abused, another person assaulted, another incident of domestic violence to go on and let the perpetrator get away with the crime. We need justice for victims, justice for the kids who look up to these athletes. Treating each other like decent human beings should always be the priority over everything else, and it's about time we start doing that.