does god have a plan for me

After 18 Years, I May Not Know What I'm Doing With My Life, But My God Knows Every Single Step I'll Take

Prayer is always the answer and the answer is always in prayer.

223

Growing up, I would always know what I was doing next or what my future career would be. For as long as I can remember I've always wanted to be a teacher. The summer after my sophomore year of high school, I decided that I wanted to do something in the medical field and strayed away from the education field. I was blessed to go to a high school that gave the opportunities to have hands-on experience to help me figure out what career was right for me. I took all kinds of health science classes and I fell in love with the idea of making people feel better and decided that nursing was the best career choice for me.

My senior year of high school I took an internship where I realized that after some actual, hands-on experience in a hospital, nursing was definitely not the career for me. I didn't know what I would do next, but a week into my next rotation in respiratory therapy, I found my niche and fell in love with the idea of being a respiratory therapist.

Although I had found my 'calling,' teaching was always something that stuck in the back of my mind. I taught a "children's church" class for preschoolers at my church, I was a substitute for my church's weekday preschool, I was a babysitter, I taught Vacation Bible School, etc., so I was constantly around kids and always teaching in one way or another. I had a heart for kids but kept telling myself that I could still be an RT and use my heart for kids in a different way other than teaching.

Even when I didn't know what I would do for the rest of my life, I always had some kind of idea and I didn't have to wait very long before I got my answer. I had never really been in the 'unknown' when it comes to my career choice, that was until just a couple of weeks ago. I've always had people ask me if I was going to be a teacher and when I told them no, they were shocked and asked me what I was going into and why I wasn't going into education. I would always tell them that I love to teach, but I don't think I could do it for the rest of my life.

I've been getting a ton of comments the past few weeks about "how I should be a teacher" or "I'm so good with kids," etc., and I've ignored them for the most part, but I started thinking about how many comments I've gotten like this and started questioning whether this was a sign from God that I should reconsider changing my major. I talked to my parents and they told me to do one, simple thing: pray. Pray constantly, and pray hard. So that's what I did and that's what I'm doing.

I still don't know what my future career will look like but I do know that God knows and will guide me to what He has meant for me to do. At first, I was scared because not knowing is very uncomforting. After praying and doing a little bit of research, I found comfort in not knowing and gave my future career over to God, trusting that He would help me make this big decision.

If you're like me a struggling with what to do next in your job, career, school, or relationship, prayer is always the answer and the answer is always in prayer, even if the answer is the answer you were looking for or something completely different than what you were expecting.

Right now, I don't know what I'm doing with my life and that's OK — Because God does.