To The Doctor Who Saved Me From My Disease, Thank You

"Because of you I can walk better than ever"

45
Molly Cohen

To My Doctor Who Saved Me From My Disease (an article dedicated to you),

There are many unique, different and common diseases in the world. However some are also very rare and I never thought I would be a person to get diagnosed with a rare disease which apparently I am one of the youngest to ever get. It is a nerve disease called Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy (CIDP). It is pretty uncommon. Basically CIDP causes weakness and very odd sensory functions in your body. Basically my arms, feet and legs feel super tired and weak all the time and my body does not feel sensations so easily. One time I burned my hand on the stove but did not feel it until about five seconds after. The disease changed my life forever. To be honest I still feel hopeless at times from it. However, because of one specific doctor I was able to take back parts of my life that I thought I had lost and develop some strengths I never thought I would gain.

It took me quite a few months to find a doctor who specialized in my disease since it is so unordinary. After months of searching though I finally to found a fantastic doctor who knew very much about my illness. I was told by my doctor that I would need to get IVIG treatments (Uses of Intravenous Immunoglobulin used to fight off infections when your body is super weak). Basically, I had to get a giant needle put in my arm then keep a small tube on my arm to get eight hours of medicine the first day and eight hours of medicine the second day. Getting treatments were one of the most tedious and uncomfortable things I have ever received. The side affects were horrible when the treatments ended. I had headaches that made it feel like someone was hitting me in the head with a bat. I also at times developed fever, nausea and drowsiness. To be honest, I wanted to scream at my doctor for making me go through this pain. After months went by from getting through the treatments they did actually benefit me and I knew I needed to trust her. After about five years of treatments she finally told me I was done and that I did a great job. I wanted to still scream at her but I thanked her for giving me the strength to deal with all that crap. It paid off in the end because now I am more stronger than ever, being able to dance better again and even work.

I also did not like having to be put on prednisone (basically a steroid to help strengthen your body). The side effects were more horrendous just like the treatments. I had extreme anxiety and gained a ton of weight that was not my fault. My face honestly blew up to almost the size of a chipmunk. I was always hungry too which did not help. Each month I would beg my doctor to get me off the steroids because I looked too big for my height. She encouraged me that I needed to be persistent because it was worth it in the end. She was right. The disease today is currently in remission and I am able to begin doing more things such as walking up the stairs better, write more without my hand hurting, and even run a bit on the treadmill. When she finally took me off the steroids I was forever grateful that I had improved.

What I love most about my doctor is that she constantly makes sure I am getting proper support and meeting my needs. This is so important specifically when it came to getting my leg braces to walk in because my legs and feet are too weak to move. I remember I once received a poor leg brace from another doctor that was not suitable for me. She immediately took action to make sure I had gotten the proper ones. The leg braces are a pain in the butt but I am so happy that she takes the time to make sure the leg braces I wear can help me move properly.

More years passed and she encouraged me to start doing more things I never thought I would be able to do again. She told me to keep dancing because I would get better, which I did. I am a pretty good hip-hop dancer, not as good as I used to be but under my circumstances I think I am pretty dope. She told me to go away for college, even three hours away which I did. She told me I could finally travel more and gave me the OK to go to Israel, a trip I will never forget. She had also cleared me to drive and work as well. Any prescriptions and notes I needed to help me do what I wanted to do she gave me with support and encouragement.

So to my doctor who put me on dreadful treatments and medications, to be honest I disliked the process and dreaded going to even see you. But as time went on, I knew you were a blessing given to me to help me get better. Because of you I have been in remission for eight years, being that you did what was best for me. I am grateful that your advice and instructions for helping me get stronger was able to help me walk better again and do more day-to-day things.

Because of you, I have found a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel which is cheesy but true. I never thought I would be able to amount to anything but you have helped me overcome that.

Lastly because of you, you have taught me to accept my disease. You have taught me to make the disease part of who I am but not consume my whole identity. You are able to see me as a beautiful young girl who shines above her disease, something I am still teaching myself to learn.

I look forward to keep working with you in the future to keep bettering myself and I am forever grateful for your care.

Love,

The Patient Who You Saved From Her Disease