Should women want to have kids?

I Asked 20 Women If They Want Kids And Boy Times Have Definitely Changed Since The 1950s

Some women have always dreamed of becoming a mother, and some women have always dreamed of a different future.

500

Times are changing. Women have the power to make their own decisions for the future they want. Some women may not know exactly what they want yet, while others have a set vision in mind of how they want to live the rest of their lives.

One of the biggest questions all women face at some point in their life is: "Do I want or not want to have kids?"

We are brought up in a society that encourages women to make the decision that is best for them, but traditional beliefs still play a major role in the expectations of women.

I decided to ask 20 women if they want or don't want kids and why in hopes of discovering how different the family based beliefs held by women have really changed in the past 50 years.

All responses are anonymous.

1. ​"I don't want kids,

nor have I ever wanted kids, because I've never liked kids or been family oriented. I'm good with them but they're annoying and I can only be around them for an hour or two. Plus, I didn't grow up with the idea 'I want to get married and have a family' when I was younger.

Plus I don't have the patience. I bet I could be a good mom but I just don't want to be because it's something I've never thought of being."

2. ​"I feel like it's a maternal desire to love and care for things. 

I have never wanted anything more in my life than to be a mother. To be an innocent child's mentor, biggest cheerleader, and protector will be amazing. Especially so now that I have found the person that I wouldn't mind having a child with."

3. “I want kids! 

Three to be exact, because I like children and I think motherhood is a beautiful thing. Building a family, if done right, helps change the dynamic of a relationship. I was the only child and that's no fun."

4. “I don’t want kids 

because I'm still figuring out my life such as deciding where I want to live, saving money for my life, learning to take care of myself and my cat. There's no room for a kid. They're expensive! And I don't want to ruin my body forever. My body already has plenty of problems."

5. “I want to have kids 

so I know that I created something good in this world."

6. “I want to have kids

because I want to be a better mom than the one I had and create a loving family for my future. I also like the idea of creating a legacy and leaving a mark for future generations knowing that I was responsible. I also just love babies."

7. “So I don’t know that I want kids 

because I want to be able to do what it is I want to accomplish and do in life. Having kids complicates things and you change from being your own person first, to being a mom as your identity more so!"

8. “I want kids

because I want to one up my biological mother. I want to be a better mom than she ever was. Also, if I stayed with my boyfriend we'd make beautiful babies."

9. “I don’t have any desire to have kids 

because I want to get married and focus on my relationship first. I always dreamed of my marriage, not being a mother. I was the type of girl to choose stuffed animals over any baby doll! Also, I'm not super fond of the idea of my body being forever changed."

10. “So, I’ve always wanted kids since I was younger.

I want at most four and that's honestly because I really love kids and enjoy taking care of kids. I want to be able to provide loving and encouraging environment for my own kids that they can hopefully use to support their own future families and have a positive influence on others around them. I think I have such a deep desire to have kids because I've always wanted my own big family coming from only having one brother. I want to be able to provide a strong parental presence that I felt like I had lost when my parents divorced."

11. “I want to have children 

because I want to be able to create something that's solely a combination of me and my significant other. There's something so raw and beautiful about being able to bring someone into the world and experiencing it for yourself. I think it will be amazing to look at my child and see parts of me and parts of him through them."

12. “I want kids 

because I'm very family oriented. I've always had a big loving family and we're a Christian family so we base how we love each other off of our faith and I love that. It's changed my life and really blessed me and I want to practice that on my own family."

13. “So I don’t want kids

just because it's never been of interest to me. I've experienced a lot of pressure to plan on having kid, or welcome the idea as a woman, but I believe it's completely unfair of me to have kids that will not get the upmost love and care just so people can put me in a box of what a woman is."

14. “I want to adopt and be a mom someday 

because I feel that every child deserves some place to call home and someone to love them unconditionally. They don't have to call me mom, but they will always have someone cheering them on, even if it's from a distance."

15. “So I don’t want kids for several reasons. 

1) They're too expensive. The amount of money spent on a child from the time they are born to the day they turn 18 is absolutely ridiculous. Last time I checked it was over $200,000, not including college. I would much rather spend that money on traveling and having experiences for myself to live life to its greatest potential.

2) I have never seen myself (even as a child) getting married and having a family. As someone who comes from an extremely broken home, I don't know what a healthy relationship looks like because I never grew up around one. I have also never been in a relationship or even dated around or have remotely been "talking" to a guy before, and considering I'm almost 21, it feels hopeless at this point.

3) I hate kids. I never grew up around them, I only grew up around adults, and I have always been treated like one. It's crazy because kids like me so much, but I absolutely cannot stand them. I don't even know how to properly talk to them, like what information does their little brain carry? What do they know/don't know? I couldn't answer that question."

16. “I am a person who wouldn’t mind having kids, 

but if I didn't I would be fine. That's because I am the youngest of four and I have two nephews and two nieces, and my sister-in-law is having another baby and we are not sure of the gender. I've kind of always seen kids in my future. It's not something I'm opposed to because I like kids."

17. “I’d say I do want kids 

because I've always known since I was probably five years old I wanted to be a mom. Something about creating something so beautiful between you and the person you love is just amazing, and being able to love someone even more than yourself just makes it all the more reason of why I want kids. I want to feel that intense love that a parent has for their child. Children also offer a sense of purpose. Having a big family and sharing familial love is what I've always dreamed of!"

18. “I’d want kids 

because I'm a super nurturing person at heart and always have been. I want to take care of a baby and raise him/her to be better than I am and contribute that experience to them and the world!"

19. “As of right now, I’m undecided on kids.

In a society that is consistently pressuring young women to settle down and become a mother and wife, I embrace having the freedom to do whatever I want while I'm still young! I have respect for women that decided to bravely leap into motherhood. I might be happier becoming the rich aunt who brings goodies from various travels and gets to shuffle out when a meltdown ensues. Life is beautiful and full of surprises. Who knows what awaits!"

20. “Family has always been such a huge part of my life. 

I can't imagine not taking the opportunity to start my own."

From being undecided to being decisive in wanting children or not, women today have many different beliefs about starting a family. These are clearly more varied beliefs than the expected "1950's family" all of us have seen depicted in one way or another. All points of view should be respected and encouraged! After all, women should support one another, not tear each other down.