To My Random Roommate Who Became My Best Friend

Thank you for accepting my extreme obsession with Disney and my infatuation with cats that has taken over our dorm room.

55
Caitlin Yannizzi

She is beautiful. She is hardworking. She is determined. She is my best friend. Most importantly, she is my roommate, and I would not want it any other way.

I still remember our first conversation, I was at work and I got a message that said: “Hey, I think you might be my roommate”. And that was when I knew, she was just as awkward as I was, and I was thrilled. In the beginning, she was the only one I knew, merely because we were stuck in the same four walls together every night. But it turned into more than just being stuck together.

We both made our own friends once time went on, but that didn’t matter. I wanted to spend time with her instead of my other friends because she gets me. She is someone I want to be more like, and she always accepts me for who I am, no matter what. Without you, I would have never met our other best friends, and I do not know where I would be without all of them, so thank you.

I will never forget all of those times that we stayed up late talking all night about life, and just being crazy. Those were some of the best nights I have had and I am glad I got to share them with you. I wouldn’t trade all of our laughs and even the tears shed for anything in the world. You make me see the world in a new view and you showed me what it really means to live life with the only goal of making yourself happy and doing what is best for your own self. I aspire to be more like you each and every day.

You always wish me good luck on tests and have a strong sense of faith in me that I sometimes lack, and I am truly grateful for that. You go out of your way to make sure that I know I am cared about and that I have a smile on my face, for that, I commend you, because I know sometimes it can be hard. I hope you know that you helped me get through some of the darkest times this year, and you made dealing with my mental health issues much easier, I owe you a lot more than you could ever imagine. Just having you here throughout this part of our lives means a great deal to me.

Whenever I needed a shoulder to lean on, a friend or just a good laugh, you were there, you are always there. The college experience has been so much better in many aspects because I have you to share it with. As the summer nears, I am happy that I can finally sleep in my own bed at home, however, I am saddened to think that my best friend will not be sleeping the next bed over.

Thank you for everything. For all of the memories we have made. For all of the times you comforted me when I was sad and applauded me when I did something great. For putting up with my weird and crazy habits. For dealing with my obnoxious laugh. For never judging my outfit choices, especially when they are put together two minutes before I have to go to class. For always listening to my strange music choices. For being okay with my extreme obsession with Disney, and the handfuls of stuffed animals and memorabilia I have lying around our room. For accepting my infatuation with cats, because I know you are definitely more of a dog person than any other animal. I couldn’t have made it through my freshman year of college without you by my side.

To anyone who is entering college, or may already be there, go randomly in the roommate selection process. You will not regret it. You will have not only someone to live the college life with, but you will ultimately gain a life long friend, someone you would never want to say goodbye to. I loved my random roommate so much that I chose to have her be my roommate next year, so that proves a random roommate can turn into a permanent one.

Thank you for being the best roommate ever Sam. I love you forever and always.

Xoxo,

Your Roomie