Four Years Ago I Never Thought I Would Be Doing What I am Doing

I changed my major before I was in college and I haven't regretted it.

29

"What do you want to do with your life?"

Oh, the infamous question. Every teenager is asked this at some point in their life. For me, I started hearing this question my freshman year of high school. Of course, I did not know what I wanted to do. I was only fourteen! But as I started to become more accustomed to school, I really started to think about my answer to this never-ending question.

I thought about what I was passionate about. What made me happy? I knew that I really liked helping others, especially animals. I started to volunteer at my local animal shelter because of my love for helping animals. I also knew that I was really enjoyed my classes pertaining to the sciences. It was my sophomore year when I decided that I wanted to become a veterinarian.

I am the most indecisive person. So when I decide on something, it is a pretty big deal. I felt so set. I was sixteen and I already knew what I wanted to do with my life. I knew the answer to that pestering question. I told my family and they just smiled and said, "That is cool, but you might change your mind." There was no way I was going to change my mind. This was what I was meant for. This was my purpose. Junior year came and I decided to start taking AP science classes because I needed to be prepared for college. Let me just tell you; those classes were tough. AP Chemistry was the actual worst class that I have ever taken, but I held on because I knew that my future depended on it.

This is where my life goes awry. At least from my point of view. I am a pretty emotional person. Actually, l am a really emotional person. If the animal dies in the movie, I will not watch it. I will literally look it up to save my tears. So, you probably know where this story is heading. My friends and family constantly asked me, "Are you sure that you want to be a veterinarian?" I could not believe they doubted my ability. But then I started to think about it. They were not questioning my intellectual ability. They just know me and that I most likely will fall apart every time I walk into my job.

I felt so lost and confused. It was my senior year and I did not know what I wanted to do. The question was unanswered again. November of 2018, I had a trip planned to visit the University of Kentucky. This was my last visit before I had to make the ultimate decision of where I wanted to go. I was signed up to sit in on a Political Science class and to meet with some of the Arts and Science advisors. I just chose Political Science partly because I have always been interested in how the government works and partly because my mom was just pestering me to choose something. I remember sitting in the class, surrounded by all of these college students, and thinking, "I don't believe this is what I want to major in."

Okay, I am sure you are wondering when I am going to get to my point. Did I ever decide my major or am I still as confused as ever? Yes, I did decide my major and it was actually that day. I met up with my cousin for lunch that day, alongside several of her friends who had just graduated from Kentucky. Of course, they asked me my major, and I said I was undecided. One girl looked at me and said, "I felt the exact same way. You should check out Communications because it is really general and a good start." And that is how I decided on my major. Yes, I let a complete stranger decide what I was going to do. Yes, I did not even do any research on this major. I went to my advisor that day and changed it.

So here we are now. I am an Integrated Strategic Communications (ISC) major with a minor in Political Science. I still do not know what I am going to with my life. However, I feel complete. I believe I am in the right place and doing what I should be doing.

So if you are a high school student, a college student, an undecided student, or literally anyone, do not stress about your future. You will end up in the place you are meant to be. It takes patience, but in the end, you will know.