We Have Bigger Problems Than Buying Greenland

With the world's record for national debt, starving people and a dying planet earth- we should not be having squabbles about buying land.

24

My dear readers, come with me and I will take you to a land. A very large country, whose people are starving and cannot afford anything. Their currency is considered by other countries as a strong reserve currency so this country may not immediately come to your mind as "help us!" but within this land the currency is showing severe signs of weakness. What does a strong currency profit if the people cannot afford life saving medicine? Student costs and health care costs are causing millions across this nation to declare bankruptcy. In a nation that shows "strength" to the world, but whose national debt is of outrageously dangerous levels. A nation heeding the calls of strongmen to come save them from the conundrum to come. A nation on the edge of the waterfall of inflation, and as innocent as a princess waiting for Prince Charming. Alas in my republican indignation I cry out "but we shall never have a king!" These are new times, times of coffeehouse debates and social media. In a way however we have never changed from the colonial days of buying land or so it seems.

This being said the very planet itself faces a crises. Temperatures rising to unprecedented levels, scientists pleading that we have to cut back on our emissions and what at one time was considered "progress" has paced into the field of "regress." The things we once thought would benefit humanity have proven to be our worst nightmares.

This being said a third problem- around the world we are facing real humanitarian crises in Venezuela, Hong Kong and Syria. These people are suffering and here we are talking about showing off our might.

Alas I have drawn an account of the two largest problems I can think of facing the world today- in my own patria, the United States, facing the crises of having a currency that looks strong to the world but the average American citizen cannot afford much needed medication (or education, housing, etc) and people there are dying. The other problem- our planet itself is crying out.

What shall it profit us buying a large island? Have we asked the people of Greenland about this proposal? What is more- we are already a very large nation, and I do not see why we need to own an island that seems happy enough as it is.

Denmark is one of our closest friends and allies and we should be learning from them how to manage the problems we are facing and they have solved many of them. My dear readers, instead of trying to show our strength the strongest thing we can do at this time is to face the problems we have been ignoring for so long.

Now I am not a scientist or an economist and will not pretend to be one. But I believe it is our duty as citizens of humanity to heed the wisdom of economists and scientists and learn all we can from them. The planet is in trouble, and humanity is in trouble. We cannot keep postponing these problems to "the future" when in fact we are the future and the problems are now. As we sit in the coffeehouses and debate we need to come up with solutions on how to save both our patria and the earth. As it may amuse our souls to jest about buying Greenland, let us all collectively acknowledge that is a terrible idea to impose the will of one man on another part of the world who never even asked for our help (and we are big enough already as a country!) My dear readers cast aside the attitude of imposing our will, and let us adopt a new attitude that of unity and solidarity with the world. Unity! Unity! Unity! Alas that is the light we are all searching for. We need to work together with the scientists of the world to find a way to save the planet. While we are at it, lets employ the policy makers and economists to find a way to solve the economic conundrum in the United States. The world is full of issues and concerns that take our unity, we will bring a brighter future and earn the blessing of posterity if we solve these crises before they get worse.

I may be a young millennial but I want to do all I can to make the world a better place for us now so that our posterity may thank us someday. There is more glory in using our liberty and resources to help others and solve the problems we face as a global community and end this attitude of caudilloism which is tearing us apart.

My dear reader make this promise with me that before the world, before patria, before our honor and before every word we write or speak that we will use it all to benefit humanity and solve the world's problems. We will cast aside all selfish ambition and strongmanism and pledge our lives to making a better tomorrow for posterity and liberty. This is where glory is found my dear reader, true liberty is when we cast our lot with humanity and look out for the earth. Selfish attitudes is what got both the economic problems and environmental problems where they are, reason and glory will set us free.