Do Interracial Couples Help Increase Tolerance?

Love can conquer anything, so why not racial intolerance too

206
http://s3-origin-images.politico.com/

It's honestly wild to me that mixed race marriages have been legal for only 50 years (Thanks to the case, Loving v Virgina). But it's also not surprising why there's still so much intolerance towards this type of relationship.

I'm a tan skin, Asian American and the majority of my dating history has been comprised of Caucasian men, so I've had my fair share of experiences with the added societal pressures that come along with being in a mixed race relationship. If any typically "average" issue arises between the two partners, the first reasoning to others may be "they just come from different backgrounds" or "they're just too different", solely based off the difference in race or ethnicity. It's frustrating because if it were two partners of the same race, the problem would be seen as an ordinary problem. I'm not disregarding the fact that two people of the same race may have completely different backgrounds; however, being in an interracial relationship, the difference in skin color, family history, or background always seems to play a part in any issue.

To my surprise, it was watching this season's The Bachelorette, which sparked my desire to finally discuss this topic. If you don't watch the Bachelorette, I'll fill you in on the basics. ABC's Season 13's Bachelorette is Rachel Lindsay. (Read more about her here.) The men pining after Rachel's heart are of various races and backgrounds, as per usual on the show. The main difference about this season is that Rachel is the show's first black Bachelorette. She has already opened up about the pressures she has faced being in her position because of her race. The members on the show have also discussed the topic with each other. One contestant in particular stated his observation of Rachel's elimination of many black contestants, while others discussed her history of dating men of all races.

Since when does the color of your skin or your background determine what's in your heart and what you're capable of providing in a monogamous relationship?

In a study conducted by Pew Research Center, data reveals that one-in-six newlywed couples have a spouse of a different race or ethnicity. This proves that there has been a shift of societal norms and expectations when it comes to relationships and marriage. As a country and society, we have made many great strides forward in breaking idealistic standards of a picturesque marriage and family. With the increased tolerance and openness of my generation and younger generations, when it has come to same-sex marriage and the acceptance of personal differences. Any type of relationship that deviates from the archetypal couple will have it's societal pressures; however, I can only hope that there will be an increased tolerance when it comes to mixed race relationships.

So, do you think interracial couples have a potential to increase racial tolerance?