Do Good People Actually Exist?

Do Good People Actually Exist?

So many claim to have good hearts, but do they really?

566
Do Good People Actually Exist?

"Good people don't have to say they're good people, it just shows." - Shauna Parker

What speaks volumes about this quote is not its truth, but its reality. Claiming to be a good person never quite does the trick and I think that's why so many self proclaimed "good people" struggle at actually being good people.

But what is a good person? We exist in a world filled with sin. We are filled with sin, so how can we be good?

1 Corinthians 10:13 says "No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it."

I think to be "good" you have to be kind, you have to be gentle, you have to be accepting, you have to be forgiving. Of course, none of those comes without the reality that is 1 Corinthian 10:13 - without Christ we are the opposite of goodness.

Without Christ we truly are incapable of being geniunely good people because we are without the goodness that is Jesus.

You have all witnessed it. The people who claim to be the best people are always - and I mean always - the people who abandon you the quickest, who judge you the fastest, who hurt you the easiest.

So now that the cat is out of the bag, maybe it is time to stop saying you have a good heart and start living a life striving to spread kindness. Stop telling everyone that you're a good person and start acting like you are.

You can't say that you're a millionaire and automatically become a millionaire. In order to get from nothing to something you have to work for it. Your actions have to prove that you deserve it.

No olympic athlete said "okay mom today I am getting a gold medal." Instead their mom said "when are you coming home? Training is part of it, but you have to get rest too." Those atheletes fought for their medal. They fought for the ability to even walk in the Opening Ceremony.

It's the same with being a good person. Your goal should never be for the world to know that you're a good person, but for you to know that you made someone smile or laugh just once today. Your goal should be to spread kindness, not to get a title you don't even deserve.

So, what are you supposed to do in a world where you can't buy goodness? It doesn't just come out of an atm. You can't order it off of Amazon. It doesn't come when you spend $50 or more. How can you be a good person when without Christ we don't even know what goodness is?

You remain faithful to God. You show kindness. You forgive. You love. Most of all, you stay.

God didn't abandon us, he gave Jesus up so we could experience a love that is indescribable. He did that so he could stay with us. He never left, never abandoned us. He showed us grace and through us He will show grace to others.