Home Repairs You Can Easily Do Yourself

Common Home Repairs You Can Easily Do Yourself

DIY Home Repairs Anyone Can Do

12

Instead of putting off calling a handyman, painter, or some other professional, why don't you do the work yourself? Actually, the main reason behind the delay is that you don't really feel like paying for some simple things which you feel you could do by yourself, too. Well, if they belong to this list, then you just need to roll up your sleeves!

Applying caulk

When you feel like redecorating, but it's a bit over your budget, you can try to replace the caulk around your tub, shower or sink. They will immediately become more visually appealing, and you will prevent any water damage or mould growth if the caulk was old.

First, you need to remove the old stuff by applying a product that will soften it. Next, use a putty knife to remove the residue. Clean it with paint thinner. Once it is completely dry, use a caulking gun and apply new caulk. If you think you're not so skilled even after a little practice, you can even buy caulk strips for the purpose.

Unclogging a toilet

Usually, there is no need to call a plumber for this one until you have tried doing it yourself. Buy a toilet plunger (not the sink plunger!) for the job. Now, the head of the plunger should be below water level when you start. Push it downwards some 8 to 10 times, and put some effort into it. This should do it for minor clogs (you'll notice the water flow freely when you're done). If nothing happens, maybe you need a toilet auger. They are meant for tougher clogs, and a tad pricier. Run the end of it into the toilet until it gets to the clog. Get a good grip and start turning the crank to pull the clog out. It should be a success.

However, if you have any complications and it seems there is a more serious matter behind this, always call the professionals such as those from Mornington Peninsula plumbing company. It's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to water, isn't it?

Fix a leaky drain

Such leaks usually happen because of a worn out washer or a broken/loose nut. As it is common, prior to dealing with water, turn its supply off. The shut off valve is either near the sink, or sometimes it can even be in the basement. Then, put a bucket under the pipe, and unscrew the compression nuts (those big, white pieces). Now that you are at it, cleaning the pipe is also a good idea, since we all know it gets rather dirty. Replace the washer, screw it back, and you are done when you turn the water on. As simple as that!

Fix a hole in the drywall

Hiring a painter to fix that little eye sore in your living room sounds like too much trouble and money, doesn't it? That's because you know you can easily do it by yourself. Small holes from nails or screws are a piece of cake.Start by cleaning the spot of any debris. Take a putty knife and press some spackle into the hole. Let it dry completely. Then, get a fine grain sandpaper and shape it until it's flat. Naturally, you may need to paint your work, depending on the wall color.

As you can see, these DIY repairs are extremely easy to do. Usually, you already have all that you need at your home, and even if you don't, it will certainly pay off to get them since these fixes are definitely done more than once in a lifetime.