Divided Competitively, Athletically in-Love

5

It’s finally that time of the year again when people love to hate, and hate to love. While I find myself in the midst of a search for someone to be my Valentine, I tip my hat to today’s professional athletes that have the ability to balance their careers as well as their personal lives when being romantically involved with other professional athletes. They are faced with countless questions from reporters constantly badgering them, but then can block it all out and dominate soon after in their respective sport.

I sometimes wonder what it’d be like to be that star athlete who just finished a great day playing his sport, and then goes to walk off the playing surface to his gorgeous girlfriend or wife and give her a big hug and kiss on national television that will instantly strike jealously and resentment in the hearts of the male viewers at home. Then I remember I am just an average white male that played volleyball in high school, so I really had no chance of ever making that fantasy a reality. I digress. These are the lucky individuals that have mastered their art, and even found the time to snag a real beaut on the side.

Let’s pay some homage to these athletes on Valentine’s Day by beginning with those who have hung up their cleats. Here are three former professional athlete relationships:

Nomar Garciaparra & Mia Hamm

The former All-Star MLB shortstop tied the knot with Olympian and World Cup Champion, Mia Hamm, on November 22, 2003. The couple currently has three children: two girls named Grace Isabella and Ava Caroline, as well as a son named Garrett Anthony. My money has it that they’ll be winners with parents like that.

Curtis Conway & Laila Ali

Conway may not be a household NFL name, but he had a successful twelve-year playing career. However, the name Ali sure sounds familiar, doesn’t it? Laila is the daughter of heavyweight boxing legend, Muhammad Ali, and amassed a final career of 24-0. Not too shabby, Laila. The couple married on July 23, 2007, and they are the proud parents of their son, Curtis Muhammad, Jr., as well as their daughter, Sydney Jurldine.

Andre Agassi & Steffi Graf

One of tennis’ most dominant players from the early 1990s to the mid-2000s, Agassi married German tennis star, Steffi Graf, in October 2001. The International Tennis Hall of Famer duo has two children: one boy, Jaden Gil, and one daughter, Jaz Elle, which imaginably will grow up to be tennis stars of their own generation.

Moving on from the past, let’s take a look at three more couples that are still out there yearning for more championships:

Rory McIlroy & Caroline Wozniacki

McIlroy has been considered by many golf analysts as the next Tiger Woods, and he unquestionably has played like that ever since he began play in the mid-2000s. His current fiancé, as of December 2013, is Danish tennis star, Caroline Wozniacki. Similar to McIlroy, Wozniacki has found a great amount of success in her young career, as well as being one of tennis’ most attractive players. “Wozzilroy,” as they have been dubbed, have long careers ahead of them with both only being in their early-20s.

Ricky Stenhouse, Jr. & Danica Patrick

With both coming on to the Sprint Cup NASCAR scene in 2013, the brunette bombshell, Patrick announced she was dating the two-time Nationwide Series Champion NASCAR competitor, Stenhouse, Jr. on January 25, 2013. While Stenhouse, Jr. has found more of his success on the track, Patrick has found much success in modeling and starring in commercials for brands such as GoDaddy.com, where she has appeared in awfully risqué attire.

Tiger Woods & Lindsey Vonn

Everyone who is anyone knows the PGA Tour star, Woods, or simply, Tiger. He’s possibly the greatest golfer of all time (maybe just behind the Golden Bear, Jack Nicklaus); and since early-2013, he’s been dating one of today’s best skiers and Olympic Medalist, Lindsey Vonn. She’s no slouch either with countless awards and titles earned over ten years. Not to mention, she is also one lovely looking piece of eye-candy.

Could you all maybe shoot me a few pointers on landing a beautiful and successful athlete, please? That’d be great. Thanks in advance.