A Little Diversity In My To Be Read Pile

The top 10 diverse books I hope to read in 2017.

21
Jillian DeSousa

Diversity Bingo was launched by several BookTube personalities at the beginning of 2017 as a way to encourage readers to pick up more diverse books this year; meaning novels that feature characters of different races, cultures, sexualities, and abilities.

While I won’t be avidly following the bingo board that was set up for this yearlong reading challenge, I do want to read more diversely. I have found that, if you limit yourself to one particular genre, you are missing out on other books that enhance your reading experience. I already have some books planned for this year, but of course, I want to read as many as I possibly can in the next eleven and a half months.

By the way, if you are interested in participating in Diversity Bingo 2017, here’s a link to the bingo board a creator posted: https://twitter.com/novelparadise/status/808828422700998656

Love and First Sight by Josh Sundquist

Love and First Sight is the reason behind this article. I was recommended this book via Goodreads website. I had heard of the author Josh Sundquist before, from his book We Should Hang Out Sometime, but I had it so low on my TBR pile that I never even thought about getting it from the library. Then, I read the synopsis for his fiction novel, Love and First Sight, and I had to read it.

Sixteen-year-old Will was born blind and, at the beginning of the novel, has left the school for the visually impaired to attend a public high school. After a series of mishaps on the first day, he adjusts well to his new surroundings and even starts dating a fellow classmate, Cecily. Then, Will gets unbelievable news: an operation that could give him his sight. He jumps at the chance to be “normal” and the surgery works. Only when he lays eyes on his beloved Cecily, she’s not the beauty their friends told him she was. But does that matter?

Of Fire and Stars by Audrey Coulthurst

A major criticism young adult high fantasy has gotten in the last year is its lack of diverse characters in terms of sexuality and race. You get mostly white heterosexual characters in worlds based in European mythologies. Of Fire and Stars blew that trend out of the water.

Set in a high fantasy magical world, Princess Denna is betrothed to the prince of a neighboring kingdom. While in her new home, she starts taking horseback riding lessons from her future sister-in-law, Princess Mare, and the two form an unlikely friendship. But Denna has a secret: she has the ability to control fire, a dangerous thing to have in a kingdom that has banned magic. Although, that’s not her only problem…she’s falling in love with Mare. And the feelings are mutual.

The Star-Touched Queen by Roshani Chokshi

Instead of checking this book out of the library like I planned to, I bought it for myself as a birthday present (one of seventeen, but we’re not here to talk about that). The Star-Touched Queen came out spring of last year, receiving quite a buzz. Here’s why: it’s a Hades and Persephone retelling based in Indian folklore…Indian as in India, not the Native American term.

Maya is a princess cursed with a horoscope that promises a marriage of death and destruction. She is determined to make sure this fate never comes to pass, until her father arranges a political marriage to a king of another kingdom, Akaran. She is surprised yet again when she finds a voice she never knew she had as a queen and her husband, Amar, shows her compassion and protection. But then there is the matter of the curse….

More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera

One of the more popular books on this list, More Happy Than Not is a somewhat futuristic contemporary novel set in Brooklyn. It follows sixteen-year-old Aaron who has not had it easy: his dad committed suicide, his mom overworks herself to keep them afloat, and he has a terrible relationship with his brother. But the bright spot in Aaron’s life is his supportive girlfriend, Genevieve, and his new friend, Thomas…until he starts developing feelings for Thomas. To get rid of these thoughts, Aaron goes to the Leteo Institute to undergo a memory-altering surgery to “straighten” himself out.

I’ve wanted to read More Happy Than Not for so long. I watch Adam’s YouTube channel sometimes and he’s so funny. He has two books out so far, and another due by the end of the year. Everyone who has read his books say his writing makes you laugh and cry, with punches to the gut.

Seriously cannot wait to read this book.

Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi

This novelis a collection of short stories tracing the history of one family, two half-sisters and their descendants. The two women, Effia and Esi, never meet, as Effia marries a British slaver and Esi is sold into slavery and sent to America. It begins in 18th century Ghana, going down the family tree into the present day.

Homegoing came out summer 2016 and blew up the Internet at the end of the year, appearing on many people’s lists of favorite books they read in 2016. Correct me if I’m wrong, I think it was nominated for an award or two.

The Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh

Mariko, the brilliant, talented daughter of a prominent samurai, is betrothed to the son of the emperor’s favorite consort. While on her way to the wedding, assassins attack her entourage and she is forced to disguise herself as a boy to track down the person who wants her dead. But when she infiltrates the Black Clan, the organization of assassins hired to kill her, she finds she is in way over her head.

The Flame in the Mist is not due to come out until later this year, but it’s already high up on my 2017 TBR for three reasons. 1: it’s set in Japan or China. 2: Renee Ahdieh, one of my favorite authors, wrote it. 3: it’s a retelling of Mulan.

GIMME!!!

Made You Up by Francesca Zappia

Made You Up is about seventeen-year-old Alex, who is diagnosed with schizophrenia and tackles her illness with a good sense of humor. But when she meets a boy she thought she invented when she was eight years old, the chances of a normal life suddenly seem possible. Only, as Alex learns, being “normal” is not as easy as being crazy.

In case you aren’t already aware, books centered on mental illness fascinate me. Made You Up falls into that category. While the individual themselves struggle with the effects of mental illness, it can also affect the people around them, particularly since people continue to use labels rather than identify what it is.

Under Rose-Tainted Skies by Louise Gornall

Under Rose-Tainted Skies follows seventeen-year-old Norah, who suffers from OCD and agoraphobia, which means she fears open spaces. She never leaves her house and is consumed by her obsessive thoughts she knows are completely irrational. Then, while she’s trying to fetch her groceries off her front porch with a stick, a well-meaning boy named Luke offers his assistance. And the story takes off from there.

While I’m not a big fan of the “girl’s life changes when she meets boy and he helps her fix her problems trope,” I am still interested in the story itself. Norah is practically consumed by her mental illness, making it impossible to live her own life as she sees fit. Overcoming those anxieties—or not—make these kinds of stories interesting reads.

Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Cordova

Alex is a bruja, a witch, and a powerful one at that. Except she hates magic. So, on her Deathday celebration, she performs a spell to rid herself of magic for good. As in any good novel, the spell backfires, sending her entire family to Los Lagos, a terrifying mix of Wonderland and Limbo. Now, with a boy she can’t trust by her side, Alex crosses over to Los Lagos to save her family before it is too late.

The biggest criticism to date of modern young adult fantasy novels is that the characters are primarily white and the mythologies are typically based in European ideologies. Labyrinth Lost is based in Latin American mythology, with most of the characters of Hispanic descent. We don’t see much of Latin culture presented in YA, which is why Labyrinth Lost got so much buzz when it came out last fall. Let’s see if it lives up to the hype.

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz

Aristotle and Dante are two teenaged boys that have nothing in common, except they both share names with famous Ancient Greek philosophers. They strike up an unlikely friendship one summer, learning more about themselves through their bond than they thought possible…including their sexualities.

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe came out five years ago and has gotten at least as many awards since then. All I know about it is that it is set in the 1980s, at least one of the boys is of Mexican descent, and they presumably fall in love with each other. That is all I want to know, really. Why haven’t I picked up this book yet when I have heard nothing but good things about it? No idea. Hopefully, I can change that in 2017.

If anyone has read these books, let me know what you thought of it and if I should move any book higher up on my TBR pile!