7 Reasons Why I Ditched The Super Bowl To Netflix And Chill Instead

I'm not a huge fan of football (usually I prefer to watch basketball) so it wasn't too hard for me to ditch the Super Bowl parties this year. I opted out of the event in favor of binge-watching "Criminal Minds" on Netflix all afternoon. Although I did miss a few notable moments in the game, I don't regret ditching the over popularized event. The leagues in the NFL have been known to bend the rules for certain superstar players and be involved in controversy over the years. Here are seven reasons why I decided to ditch the Super Bowl events this year.

1. Jennifer Lopez's and Shakira's halftime show can be watched on YouTube

The halftime show was probably the main reason I've ever even watched the Super Bowl...but it can be viewed on Youtube. I loved the performances from our two Latina queens. They both looked flawless on stage.

2. The NFL is a less than generous claim of charity

media.giphy.com

The NFL claims to donate to breast cancer research, but in reality, they donate less than 10% of proceeds from their pink NFL merchandise and accessories to research. People think their money is going to a good cause, but only $.10 out of every dollar is going to the charity.

3. I stand with Colin Kaepernick

media.giphy.com

We all know Kaepernick as the man who kneels during the anthem to raise awareness to racism and police brutality. Many American's had complaints about this, forcing the NFL to ban the player for his peaceful protests. He was spotted serving meals to the needy in Queens and helping them pick out suits, a much better use of his time if you ask me. As perfectly stated by TMZ, "Colin Kaepernick didn't spend his Super Bowl Sunday watching his old team lose the big game, instead, he gave back to the less fortunate."

4. The funny Super Bowl commercials can be viewed throughout this time of the year

media.giphy.com

Any notable ones can be found on YouTube or social media.

5. I was able to wake up, see the alert on my phone that the Kansas City Chiefs won and go straight back to sleep

media.giphy.com

Although honestly, I never really cared who won.

6. My boyfriend isn't into football

media.giphy.com

I'm honestly so happy about this because I don't feel pressured to sit through a whole football game. We just cuddled and watched "Criminal Minds."

7. I didn't bet money on the game

media.giphy.com

A lot of people bet money on the game so it's important to watch it, but this year I didn't play football squares.