Is Religion Really A Respectful Way To Live In The Modern Age (Part 2)

While history may present religion as the one true answer it hides many dirty secrets.

14

This is part two of an article. Read the first part here.

The Torah and the Old testament of the Bible are the holy books of the Jewish religion, also known as the five books of Moses. The verses I wish to dissect in this part are similar and both come from the old testament. One comes from Exodus 21:17"a kid who cursed their parents was to be put to death", and another verse in Deuteronomy 21:20-21 has similar delusion stating "rebellious teens could be stoned by the townsfolk". Could you imagine today turning on the TV news and seeing five kids massacred in some country over these rules? Hard to stomach right? Now imagine it is your country. Sickening now is it? It is extremely hard to believe but yet not too long ago these killings did happen.

A kid could have the most savage and unintelligent parents to walk this earth but if he disobeyed those crazy religious folks it means death for the kid. This is an easy way to see how religion exists still today by its method fear mongering to force acceptance of the religion itself. Yet the most upsetting thing about these verses, and this goes for all holy books, not just the old testament, are not even the verses themselves but these same verses are held within a book people believe today.

They might not ever quote these particular verses as their favorite but they are part of a book which they have chosen to determine and run their entire lives. So even if they cherry picked the best parts about peace and love those other verses still come from the barbarians who wrote these verses too. Context is important and while religion is a huge part of history it is by no means the only path for history to take and I wish more individuals would realize that.

Now I know going into this article talking about the Christian religion would put me in hot water. First off with the location of my residence being deep within the bible belt and also the leaders of the country I reside are mostly part of this religion themselves. The thing is though I am not out to kiss anyone's ass on their beliefs and I also not afraid to voice reason in the middle of nonsense. While some Christians may find that offensive, what I find offensive in the verses of Bible might be a bit more of bombshell for those Christians who are upset.

First off could one make the case slavery was so easily accepted by early American settlers because of Christianity? Yes one could easily do that citing Leviticus 25:44-66"You may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way."

I really love to recite this verse when in a debate to the hardcore religious individuals and watch the mental gymnastics they have to do to circumvent the actually meaning of this verse. This verse obviously condones the use of slavery, The literal practice of selling of men, women, and children into forced manual labor. What part of this verse shows empathy towards humanity?

Also this verse in Ephesians 6:5 "Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ". This verse then tells these very slaves to serve their captors as though they are serving Christ. This is obviously a front to put Christians of that time ahead without working for the fruits of their own labor. Using religion as a systematic tool to gain wealth and power at the expense of others.

Some may hold the cross across their chest and present themselves as pious and holy yet the book they believe to true is full of dirty and ugly methods of subjugation. Not the ideal teachings of a lifestyle meant for mental health and well-being in the modern age.