Discovery of the South Pole Wall: What this Could Mean for Future Space Exploration

As we continue to explore our surroundings, the potential for discovery becomes greater and the boundary of possibility expands.

33

There is something so undeniably fascinating about space. Everyday, we're anxiously left wondering: Does it really go on forever? Could it potentially hold other life forms? Is there more than just our universe? Because of its immensity, it's impossible to tell if we'll ever discover the answers to these questions. But scientists are definitely trying. As of recently, a new and colossal cosmological structure has been discovered: The South Pole Wall. According to the New York Times, this "wall" is made up of hundreds of thousands of galaxies, which have remained undetected for all of this time due to being blocked by our bright Milky Way Galaxy. This new cosmic structure is one of the largest objects to ever be uncovered by scientists so far.

Milky Way, Galaxy, Night, Sky, Stars, Universe, Cosmos

Source: https://pixabay.com/photos/milky-way-galaxy-night-...

Discoveries like this one, whether it seems like it or not, are contributing to humanity's inevitable search to discover the answer to the mysterious question "Where are we in this vast expanse of a universe?". Due to scientists' incredible research, the South Pole wall is now another feature to include on our mostly vacant map of space. Just like we are able to look at map to figure out where we are, where we long to go, and how we long to get there, with the increased knowledge gained by researchers of objects in the universe, it'll be exponentially easier to navigate our way through space. Space exploration for humans will be imminent.

Astronomy, Bright, Constellation, Dark, Exploration

Source: https://pixabay.com/photos/astronomy-bright-conste...

The more we learn about what surrounds us and how those surroundings act, there's no telling what discoveries can be made to combat any obstacles impeding the visitation of said surroundings. The possibilities for acquiring new knowledge and human experience as we grow is becoming endless. The discovery of the South Pole wall and how it impacts other galaxies is a massive step to unlocking secrets withheld by the universe from us for billions of years. Who knows, by 2100, we could have created a whole civilization on Mars, or find a way to take humans to Pluto and back to Earth within 24 hours. It's incredible to think about how close we are.

Milky Way, Stars, Night, Sky, Landscape, Desert, CactusSource: https://pixabay.com/photos/milky-way-stars-night-s...