Disadvantaging America Again

Disadvantaging America Again

Why Trumps policies only look good on Paper

87
Disadvantaging America Again
www.reddit.com

Millennials have had the advantage to see the world change and progress in their lifetime. The ups and downs the country has gone through over the past 20 years has shaped our minds into realizing what’s important and what's not . We knew before full equal rights, before the great recession- back when the peak of technology were flip phones and Internet Explorer. Luckily today, we have progressed to a more advanced society, - yet we lack vital progression that keeps us from being “ the best country in the world”.

Under President Trump’s leadership, the United States has followed the “ America First” motto when addressing policies both at home and abroad. By that, I thought that our president would prioritize its interest by strengthening trade deals, a stronger educational system, and better opportunities for everyone within its borders. Not cut allied ties by dropping peace , enivironments, and trade deals. In an attempt to strengthen America he has undermined diplomatic etiquette and disconnected himself from the direct affect his policies make.

By blindly following his campaign promises he attempts to strengthen America at the expense of minorities.

During the campaign, Trump made the promise to strengthen the American people by providing jobs to all Americans. The simple way he tried to solve this problem was by encouraging business to “Buy American, Hire American” - in attempts to reduce outsourcing. This band-aid solution would seem like a victory if we do not consider his cuts to the educational system.

Children being educated under Trump will have about $9.2 billion less in funds. This money that goes to after-school programs, that reduces ‘at-risk-students’, will be cut. Programs that help a child learn at their speed, such as special needs and advanced programs will also be eliminated. America could possibly fall so far behind in education that in 20 years Business would make the choice to insource high skill workers. How great are we if we do not value education as our number one priority.

Trump’s presidency has had an act now- think later routine.

Trump wanted to make our military the strongest, most powerful democratic influence in the world. Unlike his predecessors, Trump's agenda excludes diplomatic negotiations when a bomb or a missile can do the trick- besides, who wants to live in a world of peace anyway. In attempts to make the army ' stronger', Trump rolled back progressive movements that allowed everyone to serve. Democracy took a hit when Trump excluded Trans-military personnel, claiming that their medical expenses were too high and a burden on the budget. As if there aren't proud veterans that are Trans, as well as current sailors soldiers, marines, airmen and coastguard personnel who are comfortable with their identity.

Plus, needless to say, that Trans people have always been part of our military. Maybe not openly - now dismissed "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy - but they did since the Vietnam war drafted regardless of how 'men' identified. Trump's narrow-mindedness and lack of awareness on social issues weaken our military. It divides strong people and allows for prejudice and harassment to flourish.

The world has definitely become smaller in the last two decades. For example, if you needed to contact someone you would have had to beep them and hope that they were close to a phone or not busy. Now, anyone can be contacted, information can be shared a lighting speed. There's no one who takes advantage of this more than Trump. There is no need to check your local newspaper for the headlines, just look at Trumps Tweets to stay updated. Trump's tweets have instigated world leaders, embarrassed currents politicians and marked the end of campaigns for others.

Trump's tweets do not represent the nation as a whole- rather the 1% that does not have to worry about feeding their family or making ends meet. Trump has used Twitter to point out his views and to push the legislative branch towards his agenda. Which mainly includes replacing the "Affordable Care Act", "Building the Wall", and calling out "Fake News". Although he sees this as a tool, many believe that due to his constant talk on what should be happening - nothing is happening. By giving us a play-by-play of his day he overshadows Capitol Hill and it's progress. His relentless need to save face has led him to be a walking meme.

Overall, regardless of how much Trump wants to improve America, he cannot do so if he disregards that we are the future. The millennial generation wants to break away from oppressive practices that exclude our peers.

We want an education system that will prepare us to compete in this globalized market. We want honest news and elected officials that are not career politicians. We want opportunities and freedom promised to us, we want to live in the greatest country in the world - yet everything Trump does directly contradict it.