Different types of IVF Medication

Different types of IVF Medication

IVF Medication

47
Different types of IVF Medication

Women with ovulation problems should seek medication. It is also an important component of IVF.

A patient will usually start an IVF cycle with birth control. This allows the doctor to control their menstrual cycle. IVF drugs used to prepare the uterus or stimulate the ovaries do not carry long-term risks for cancer of the ovary.

How does IVF medication work?

Women with ovulation problems should be treated first by taking medication to stimulate ovulation. Fertility drugs trigger the release of hormones that either regulate or trigger ovulation.

A patient will usually start an IVF cycle with birth control. Next, the patient will be given injectable medication to stimulate the ovaries and make eggs. This is to prevent ovulation from occurring too early in the treatment cycle.

What is the most common IVF medication?

There are many types of fertility drugs that can be used during IVF, including oral and injectable. The amount and type of fertility drugs used in IVF depend on the woman's age and her doctor's recommendations. For that you have to visit the fertility clinic and consult the doctor.

The following medications are common in IVF treatments.

• Birth Control Pills - The pill regulates menstrual cycles, and prepares the reproductive system to undergo IVF.
  • Prenatal vitamins - We recommend that a woman start the process of actively trying to conceive by taking at least 400mg of folic acid. Avoid herbal supplements.
  • Lupron, #1 - This medication allows the body to produce more quality eggs.
  • Antagon (Ganirelx) - Ganirelx helps prevent premature ovulation.
  • Follicle-stimulating Hormone (FSH) - These injections increase the number of follicles within the ovaries. The following FSH types are often prescribed by us: Follistim (#4), Menopur (#2), and Gonal-F(#2).
  • Doxycycline - An oral antibiotic that's used to treat infections such as reducing bacteria levels in sperm. It reduces the chance of infection after aspiration of the eggs at egg retrieval.
  • Novarel - A synthetic human chorionic hormone (hCG) injection that is used to induce ovulation. Novarel can be used to induce ovulation when other medications are not available.
  • Prednisone - Used to treat patients suffering from anti-sperm antibodies or repeated pregnancy loss.
  • Progesterone A steroid that synchronizes the preparation of the uterine liner with the treatment cycle in order to prepare the uterus for embryo implantation.
  • Estrace (estrogen) - Estrace can be used to supply estrogen. It comes in tablet form and can be used orally or vaginally.
  • Valium - A muscle relaxant and anti-anxiety medication that was available before embryo transfers.
  • Microdose Lupron - This medication was initially used to stimulate the eggs before suppressing them. It also prevents ovulation.

How much do IVF drugs cost?

Fertility drugs can be very expensive. We found that different pharmacies charge different prices for the same medication. Comparison shopping can be a great way to save money.

Side effects and risks of IVF medication

The most serious risk when taking IVF medications is ovarian stimulation (OHSS). This occurs when a woman's eggs are produced more frequently than usual due to fertility drugs.

IVF drugs used to stimulate the ovaries and prepare the uterus are not associated with the long-term risk of cancer.

Side effects of fertility drugs are generally mild but can vary from one patient to another. These side effects can include:

• Stomach pains
  • Hot flushes
  • Mood swings
  • Heavy periods
  • Tenderness to the breast
  • Insomnia
  • Urethrination has increased
  • Spotted vision
  • Headaches
  • Weight loss
  • Dizziness
  • Vaginal dryness