The Different Types Of Friends You Have In College

Because college is just as much about finding your people as it is finding yourself.

19

The Roommate

This person is more than a friend. She’s like a sister or a proxy-boyfriend. You guys talk about anything and everything with each other, and she is always there when you need her most. She never judges you and is there to catch you when you fall. You may fight like sisters at times but that’s because you’re like family (so much so that you’re even in her family group texts). Oh, and let’s not forget about pillow talk!

The Emotional Drunk

This is the friend of the group who, every time she has one-too-many drinks, cries about anything and everything. It could range anywhere from a broken nail to a broken heart. You name it, she’ll cry about it.

The Partier

This friend is ALWAYS up for a good time. Want to stay in on a Saturday night? Forget about it! She will convince you to go out and have a great time one way or another. But you will want to kick her in the morning when you're dry-heaving over a toilet for the rest of the day.

The "Mother Mary"

This friend is the mom of the group. She is always classy, put-together, and mature in any given situation. She makes it her priority to see that everyone’s needs are attended to, and she’s the first person to check in with you to make sure you make it home safely if you're not with her. Mother Mary holds the crew together.

The Roommate 2.0

When your original roommate decides to spend the semester abroad, you get the pleasure of having a new roommate for the first time ever. Although you’re sad to see her go, you know your temporary roommate meets the gold standard. You’ve quickly become good friends, and you know that you will have the best time of your life with her! It’s like Mom has left for the weekend and you get to stay with your fun aunt.

The Acquaintance

This is the are-we-actually-friends-or-just-when-we-run-into-each-other gal. You usually see her at parties or passing by in the hallway, and you have a ton of mutual friends. When you're together, it's a blast, but you also don't make an effort to actively see each other.

The Best Friend

This person is your other half; your go-to gal. She is your partner in crime, and you are attached at the hip. You don’t think you’ve ever gone anywhere without her, whether it be the dining hall or the Thursday-night club. When you’re not with her, people are genuinely concerned for your well-being.

The Hermit

This friend has a permanent table reserved for her at the library because she’s there so often. She’s like a chameleon - hard to find but great when found. You’re lucky if you get to spend an hour with her per week. But when she decides to abandon the library and join the crew for a night on the town, she’s the best time ever!

The Former Friend

This is the girl who used to be your best friend (probably the first one you ever had in college). You both just grew apart, and now you're like strangers. When you see each other, the most you can muster is some awkward small talk. Even though you both have great, new groups, sometimes you really miss her and the friendship you had.

The Wife

This friend has been wifed-up. She spends every waking hour with her boyfriend, taking care of him and his friends. But when she finally decides to grace you with her presence and ditch the dude, it’s like she never left.

The Classmates

These are the friends you really only speak to because you sit next to each other in your 9:25 lecture. In class, you’re BFFs, but outside of class, a smile and wave will suffice, because you’ve all rejoined your proper friend groups.

The Hot Friend

You despise and love her, simultaneously. She can’t help that she’s 100x hotter than you, but you still hate her for it. It will take you 2 hours to get ready for a night out and her 20 minutes, but she will still look better than you ever will.

The Extracurricular Crowd

These are the friends you probably spend the most time with outside of your core group. They share similar interests as you, and you are with them almost every day, meeting deadlines and planning school events. This group is truly like one, big family.

The Group Project

These are the boys and girls you were most likely forced into becoming friends with through random group assignments. At first it was awkward, but you quickly became like a small, dysfunctional family. At one point in the semester, you probably wanted to strangle them, but by the end you were sad that it was over. (Or happy.)

The Other Best Friend

This girl is one of your nearest and dearest, but you do not share the same friend group. That doesn't stop you from texting each other every day and having weekly dining hall dates. You are basically part of her family, too.

The Boy Friend

This is not to be mistaken with "boyfriend." He just happens to be your friend who is a boy. He's like a brother to you, and you would do anything for each other. Everyone jokes that you'll end up getting married, but you both gag at the thought.

The Squad

Last, but not least, is your girl group. Whether you found each other halfway through college or the very first day of freshman year, these are your gals. Each of you has your own personality that complements the others'. You even refer to your group in the third person, and everyone else gets annoyed by it (#oops). You love these girls and would do anything for them.

All images courtesy of giphy.com