I Am A Totally Different Person Than I Was A Year Ago, And I Am Grateful For That

I am grateful for my struggles because they've made me stronger, and a lot change in a year.

227

Last year, I was a totally different person than I am now. I have grown so much, and I have changed, hopefully for the better. It feels like it has been for the better because I am so confident in who I am as a person.

Last year, I was just starting my career as a college student. I was a freshman living on her own for the first time. I was finding out how to adult for the first time. I had to manage my time and prioritize things for the first time.

It was hard, and I've definitely made mistakes along the way, but I've gotten a pretty good grasp of how to do it. Also, I've gotten a ton of help and advice on how to do it well. As a result, I've been able to do more with my time and I've been able to expand myself professionally.

It was a struggle, but I am grateful that I went through them.

This time last year, I was in a group of friends that wasn't right for me. I was focused on school and getting good grades. That wasn't their priority and the people who I thought I would be best friends with forever don't even wave to me around campus today. We grew apart.

This year, I think I've found a couple of groups of friends that are all amazing people. All of the people in these groups are driven and hardworking people. They care about school and their lives after college and are setting themselves up for a brighter future. These people motivate me to work harder in college.

It was hard having those first friendships in college fail, but the people in my life now are so much better for me. I genuinely think the world of everyone that is an active part of my world now because these people are all people who deserve the best in life.

Between this time last year and now I went through a lot of personal struggles. Each time they got harder and more complicated, but I am grateful for these struggles.

It's never easy having friendships go sour, especially for someone like me who values their friendships so highly. I am loyal to my friends to a fault, and when friendships fail it deeply pains me. However, these failed relationships have made me stronger and have made me a more mature and a better person.

This time last year, I was lost. I had a vision of what I wanted to do with my life, but I had no idea how to get there. I had no idea what I was going to do in the meantime until I got there. This was a huge emotional struggle for me.

Now, I am not lost. I have my vision and I still have no idea of exactly how I am going to get there. However, instead of freaking out, I am embracing the moment. I am keeping myself open to new opportunities and in the past year, I have taken a lot of them.

In those new opportunities I have experienced, I have found a love for non-profit work. I've found myself in a sorority after thinking that I would never be in one. I've found myself doing research.

This time last year, I struggled with leaving my comfort zone. From being scared out of my mind doing a ropes course and being hesitant embracing new friendships. I was scared to leave what I knew.

Now, I am constantly escaping my comfort zone. In the past year, I've taken out door-frames in one piece, I have joined a sorority (that was leaps and bounds out of my comfort zone), I have taken on new roles and positions, and I've made new friends.

This time last year I was miserable. I got anxious over almost everything, especially the stupid things that don't matter now. I doubted myself a lot. I got worked up over almost everything and I was always sad.

Now, I am the happiest I have ever been. I don't get anxious over stupid things. I am confident in who I am, and I am happy.

This happiness, this happiness that isn't going away is because of those new experiences and opportunities. I left my comfort zone, and I've become happier. Everything this past year has made me stronger and more mature.

This past year, I've struggled a lot. I went through a lot of high highs and a lot of low lows. If it weren't for these struggles, I wouldn't have grown to be the person I am today.

In this past year, I have discovered some of my values. I have learned things about myself, and I've done new things. I am a different person.

This Thanksgiving and year, I am grateful for my struggles because I am so much more mature, confident, and stronger than I ever was before. I am proud of who I am today, and that is large in part to my friends and the experiences I've had. I am grateful for that, to those people thank you.