A Different Kind Of March Madness: The Race To The Presidency

Even if you don't normally follow politics, you probably have a bracket.

11
CNN

It seems that right now in the nation, we are experiencing a brand new kind of “March Madness.” With primary elections and caucuses every week, and candidates dropping out of the race like flies, I have taken it upon myself to answer some burning questions. For the purposes of this article, I am going to do my best to write without a bias.

Why is Donald Trump the Republican front-runner?

First of all, let me explain what this means. In order for a Republican candidate to become the Presidential nominee this year, he must acquire 1,237 delegates. These delegates are awarded through state caucuses and primary elections. As of March 17, 2016, Donald Trump has 673 delegates, followed by Ted Cruz with 411, and John Kasich with 143. Trump has had a rather large following since he first announced his campaign. From my observations, people seem to identify with Trump because he is not afraid to offend. In a world where everybody is sensitive about political correctness, Trump goes over the top and says what other people will not. This "speak your mind" behavior obviously comes with controversy and criticism, and Trump has not been spared these comments.

Is Ted Cruz the Zodiac Killer?

I think that this is a really funny question. What started off as a joke on the Internet blew up into a conspiracy theory. The Zodiac Killer has been directly linked to five murders in California from 1968 to 1969. The Zodiac would send secret codes as letters to the police. In 1974, these letters stopped. They never heard from Zodiac again. Seeing as the Zodiac was present in the late 1960s, and Ted Cruz was in fact born on December 22, 1970 there is no way that he is the Zodiac Killer. All that took was a simple Google search. Case closed.

If Hillary Clinton becomes the President, what do we call her husband Bill?

This is an actual question! And while we may not have the answer to it right now, it is definitely still something to think about. On Jimmy Kimmel Live, Hillary came up with a few ideas including "First Mate, First Dude, First Gentleman," but joked that she would have no idea until it really happened.

Who is John Kasich?

People often forget about the Ohio Governor, but he is still in the race as of March 17, 2016! I promise. He just recently had a big victory in his home state of Ohio where he won all of the Republican delegates. This gave him the reassurance he needed to continue in the presidential race.

What is “feeling the Bern”?

“Feeling the Bern” is a term coined by supporters of Democratic candidate Bernie Sanders. They use this phrase to express how they feel about Sanders – and they are really good atshowing it. Since a large percentage of Sanders supporters are young (84 percent of Democratic voters under age 30), they have used social media to their advantage. Let's just say the Internet is NOT short on Bernie Sanders vs. Hillary Clinton memes. In every one of these comparison memes, Sanders is made to look cool and Clinton is made to look the exact opposite.

Wait, where did Marco Rubio go?

I'm sorry Rubio lovers, but he suspended his campaign on Tuesday, March 15, 2016 after losing the primary in his home state of Florida.

Why should everyone vote?

Let me be very clear here: EVERY VOTE COUNTS! No matter who you want to vote for, just make sure you go out and actually do it if you're a registered voter. If you aren't, click here to find out how to register in your state! If you're a college student like me, make sure to apply for an absentee ballot if you won't be home on election day (because I know I won't be).