We Didn't Start The Food Fight

We Didn't Start The Food Fight

It was always going since the food's been growing

71
We Didn't Start The Food Fight

My high school had a tradition where someone starts an end-of-the-year food fight and it could get insane. I witnessed people bleed! (Seriously, a guy threw a full bottle of Gatorade and bashed this girl in the eye my junior year.) Since there were two lunch sessions to balance out the size of the school, this meant that two food fights occurred in one day.

Senior year rolls around; it's third period and I'm in my English Honors class, because go me. Our principal, who had been our principal for about two years at the time, let out an announcement. A very angry announcement:

"Dear students, I understand there is a tradition that you supposedly thought was okay a long time ago. A food fight at the end of the year. I am here to tell you right now, it ends today. If someone starts a food fight or anyone throws anything, they will be escorted from the school by the police and will need to be picked up at the station. If someone throws something and injures another person, they will not only meet the police but will also be expelled and have to take their final exams at a later date. And we will check all online media to clarify who started it, who threw what, and who promoted it. THIS. ENDS. TODAY!"

A subtle click and the announcement was done. But we didn't even take a moment of silence; everyone, even my teacher, started laughing. There was no way anyone in this room comprised of senior honors and Mormon students, would want to start a food fight at the end of the year when it's just one week away from ending. And of course if you tell a high-schooler not to do something, they're gonna do with style and perfection.

Plus, online media? Pfft, that didn't matter! All I had at the time was a FaceBook and I rarely went on it.

So when lunch came around, we were ready.

There was a very calm sea of conversation that day in the cafeteria. All the deans were at the front doors and at each corner of the cafeteria were at least two police officers. Everyone knew it was coming; my table even got to overhear the rejects of the wrestling team go through a list of people who could potentially start the fight.

"...Well, he just broke up with her, so he's still pretty hot about it. And he's been arrested before so he wouldn't care..."

But I knew I was safe. No one at my table would start something. They were all good kids; I served with some of them on the track team, including one of my best friends; I was a sprinter and he was a pole vaulter. But we just ate our lunch like nothing would happen.

Then out of the corner of my eye, I see one of our friends (whom for the sake of this story I'll just call Mighty Mouse because of his height and courage to bring what he brought) sit down, eyes wide, not taking off his backpack. The cafeteria gets even quieter, library quiet. And Mighty Mouse says:

"Could you guys help me with my project? I don't wanna bring it home."

That rascal brought a 10x12 tray of key lime pie with chocolate coins on top. Mighty Mouse brought a figurative bomb into the cafeteria and everyone, including us, knew we stepped foot into the danger zone. So my entire table starts taking massive slices of the pie, ripping off the coin wrappings, and hogging the thing down to show our diplomacy. We couldn't even finish it; there was more than half at the end of the day.

So the conversations go back to the volume they were at. A few minutes go by and the pole vaulter without making any eye contact to anyone, says:

"I think I'm gonna go study at the library now."

My immediate reaction was: If he's going to the library that must mean that he's got a gut feeling that the food fight is gonna start soon. Which means... I gotta get outta here!

And I was ready; I didn't take anything out. Only my lunchbox for a split second, after I took all the contents out of it and then I packed it back in.

So I stand up as he gets ready. And he stands up seconds later. Then everyone else at my table sees us and one of the guys says:

"Y'know what? We have to study too."

They get up too.

The table at the other end of the cafeteria sees us and they must have thought to themselves: "Oh crap, the Mormons are getting up!" (because apparently, devoted Christians can sense when a storm's a-comin') so that table got up too.

One by one, every person at every table in the cafeteria rose, completely unsure what to make of this phenomenon. All they knew was that the end was near.

But my table was already out the door. We got out the entrance, and as I turned my head, I see the principal with a cop on each side marching past me.

It was like watching President Snow with his fellow Storm-troopers trying to maintain peace at Hogwarts.

So we go outside and watch everything, along with the others in the courtyard, from the windows.

The pole vaulter left because he really did have to study. Turns out we weren't sharing thoughts, I was just being paranoid.Mighty Mouse, pie in hand, speed-walked to the portables, never to be seen again that day. I turned my attention back to the cafeteria. And as soon as I did, a water bottle came out of nowhere and smacks the glass. It had begun.

I went to the top of the stairs for safety and a dean met me there, and sais "No students allowed up here."

I had to deal with these cretins on the front-line (at this point, the fight had spread to the courtyard)? So, I may have started the food fight, but not technicallyt. It was most the confusing moment, karma-wise, I had ever experienced.

Because although I didn't shoot the shot heard round the world, I had abused my mind control a little bit.

I walked to my class. They locked the doors to and from the halls during lunch, but I knew if I walked slowly enough, I wouldn't draw attention and could get there as the doors open.

Then the bell ran. I ran out of the courtyard, went through the doors and ran to my creative writing class (because of course).

Meanwhile, the screams are still going on, and the principal says over the intercom "Everybody in the courtyard: STAY THERE! You will be escorted out by the police!"

As I got to the English hall, one of my friends who was part of the broadcast journalism group at the time comes running up to me, camera and tripod in hand, and says "what's going on?" I'm out of breath, but all I say is "It's crazy, man!"

I opened the door, slam it behind me and sit down, having just a perfectly normal class. Then the principal says disdainfully:

"To everyone who has second lunch, I'm sorry but we're canceling it. You'll just have to eat in your classes because of the actions of your peers."

At this point, he could tell me he was building another death star. I wouldn't care. My nightmare was over.

That day my aunt picked me up and we went back to my house. As we were heading back I got a text message from an anonymous source; it just popped up as a number.

hey do u have a twitter?

No. Why?

because someone's tweeting that you started the food fight and that they're gonna turn you in

If we went by the rule manual then I merely implied the start involuntarily. That may seem like a cop-out, but you know I'm right. And the principal was going to check online media! I was done for! Even if I didn't start it, the principal was out for blood.

So I say:

No no no no! Take it off! Take it off Twitter right now!

The response?

LOL!!! #mikeystartedit2k15!

I had to go to work until eleven at night, knowing that I was probably going to be expelled on my last week of high school.

So the next day, I went to all of my friends and asked if they knew the number or if they checked Twitter lately.

And I got my answers: it was a friend's number, and she was joking the entire time.

So now I get to say I started/didn't start my senior year food fight in high school without getting caught. Which, even if it is confusing, offers some pretty fun bragging rights.

So moral of the story: always have a digital presence. Actually, I'm not even being a smart-alec like I usually am, having a digital presence is crucial nowadays. Especially if something like that happens.