I Didn't Know My Best Friend's Name Two Months Ago

What it's really like making friends in a freshman dorm.

416
Krista Bauer

Coming to college, I was a little apprehensive about meeting people that shared the same living space with me. I went to a high school where everyone knew everyone and you basically knew everyone in your class's name. I was nervous to have to put myself out there and meet new people in the beginning. As my first year at college is coming to a close end (wow time goes fast), I want to reflect on my time in a freshman dorm.

I have met some of my best friends in this dorm, even finding my roommate for next year. I was also lucky enough to have a great RA my freshman year that held fun floor events. This may sound dumb, but going to those events made it easier to get to know the people on your floor.

These people may not be your best friends, but it's nice to be familiar with the people living around you.

I have met one of my best friends on my floor this year, and it wasn't until the second semester when we actually became friends. Looking back, we both feel dumb that we didn't talk the first semester at all. I don't even think I knew her name and now we don't go a day without seeing each other at least once. It's crazy that she only lived a few doors down, and we never really talked until January. It's nice to have a friend on your floor that will pray with you, cry with you, and vent with you whenever you need it.

Meet people on your floor and get to know them!

I would also make it a point to make friends on other floors if it's possible. Although they may not live on the same floor as you, these people may have more in common with you than you think. This also gives you even more familiar faces as you venture around campus and a whole other group of people to connect with. My other best friend lives two floors below me, and I'm also friends with many of her friends on her floor as well. She is another friend I can count on when I need a laugh or encouragement.

College is all about connections, whether that is personal or professional.

What you put into your freshman dorm experience, you will get out. Leave your door open, go to floor events, say hi to people as you walk down the hall, and venture to other floors; you may find some of your best friends.