I Didn't Find My Passion By Sitting Around

Try everything until you find what's for you.

2
Gina Apice

How do you discover that you truly love something? Of course, you have to try it. You don't know until you try. For some, they try one activity and it clicks. For me, that was not the case.

As a child, I was very determined and eager to try everything. As shy and anxious as I was, it never stopped me from trying new things. I played every sport and joined every activity in the book. Yet, it took me a long time to discover my true passions.

I signed up for gymnastics, swimming, Girl Scouts, soccer, field hockey, ice skating, basketball, theatre, horseback riding, and dance all before I even got to middle school.

Some were a complete fail; like ice skating. I hated following the rules. Classes made me anxious and it was not what I anticipated but the point was, I tried. I learned that ice skating was NOT my passion.

Some I enjoyed and did for more than one season; like basketball, gymnastics, and swimming.

One I loved a lot and did for many years; theatre, singing and acting.

One, I loved and loved more than words and did from age 4 to 18; dance.

There was one activity though, the last one I signed up for, that was the one. For me, it was horseback riding. I signed up for riding when I was eleven and it became my life passion.

The point is, if I didn't try so much I never would've found my passion. I enjoyed trying new sports and clubs and I learned something valuable in each. Trying new things helps us to grow. I tried new things over and over until I found the ones for me. That's what makes life exciting and special.