So, United, I Guess 'Fly the Friendly Skies' Doesn't Extend To Dogs?

After two incidents resulting in a death and a dog thousands of miles away from its destination United Airlines is under investigation.

205
Taryn Leighton

After the recent incident that occurred on March 12 with United Airlines, there have been multiple statements released from officials about changing the laws regarding the way in which flight attendants must treat all animals with the equal amount of respect as they do to their passengers.

10-month-old bulldog Kokito was placed in an overhead bin on a flight from Houston to New York earlier this week. The flight attendant assured the family that their dog would be better off in the overhead bin and out of the way of the other passengers on the plane. Three hours later when the plane arrived in New York the family opened the overhead bin to find that their dog had died.

Now I don't know about you but at this point, I have chills all over my body.

First, why did a flight attendant think they had the authority to tell a family that their dog could not be placed under the seat in front of them (which is the most common way to fly with a pet), BUT THEN why would she even suggest to place him in a location with no source of oxygen.

Others have questioned why the family did not just get off the plane when they were told to place their puppy in the overhead compartment. I guess it depends on the situation you are in. If you are in a rush to get to your destination all that is on your mind is the safety of your family and making it to your final destination on time.

United Airlines released a statement to multiple newspapers including the New York Times saying “This was a tragic accident that should never have occurred, as pets should never be placed in the overhead bin,” Maggie Schmerin, a spokeswoman for the airline, said in a statement. “We assume full responsibility for this tragedy and express our deepest condolences to the family and are committed to supporting them.”

Not only did this incident occur, but on Thursday, March 15 two dogs were mixed up on two different flights. German Shepherd, Irgo was placed on a flight to Japan instead of returning to his family who had just relocated to Kansas.

The owner of Irgo, Kara Swindle, went to pick him up at the cargo area in Kansas and saw that he had been replaced with a Great Dane that was supposed to be on its way to Japan.

Both dogs had connections in Denver and this was where the mix-up occurred. When the plane finally landed in Japan around 2:30 a.m. on Wednesday Swindle found out that Irgo who had never been on a plane before had no water or food on a 16+ hour flight along with suffering from an ear infection and had not gotten his medication in three days.

Irgo was escorted in first class with a human and flown back to Kansas and reunited with his family.

This is two strikes in one week United. You would think that they would learn from one incident that should not have ever had to happen.

According to ABC and CNN, there is a criminal investigation underway especially after the death of Kokito and the "misunderstanding" the flight attendant had in regards to placing an animal in an unknown location as well as the "mix up" of two distinct dogs traveling to two separate areas of the world.

I'm sorry United but you definitely lost my business because if I can't trust you "flying the friendly skies" with my dog you will not be having me as a passenger on your flights.