Did Donald Trump Really Just Pull a Lindsay Lohan?

It's more than the orange spray tan.

6

The answer is quite simply, yes. A loaded bank account, hundreds of Trump products and brands, and perhaps an insular social circle have somehow combined in a way that has convinced Donald Trump that he is the solution to America's problems. Now let me be clear, I usually do not like to make one-sided political commentary because although I believe that my views are logical and well thought out, I know that the majority of those with opposing views feel the same way; and since there are both politicians that I support and those that I cringe to listen to, I figure I cannot be as well-versed in politics as I would like to think. That said, I feel at ease dissecting Trump's announcement to run for president of the United States, because I do not think that he can be taken seriously in any party and that his arguments even when seemingly logical, are unfounded and often without factual evidence. So let's start looking at some of his "finer" moments from his speech. Get ready to be blushing out of embarrassment for the business mogul in 3. 2. 1.

"When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best…They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people."

First off, Mr. Trump, most of the illegal immigrants entering the U.S. are not being sent: most are trying to escape the problems of their home countries. In fact, they are trying to leave the drugs and the crime in order to better their lives and those of their family members. Moreover, how many more studies need to be done to show that the drug trade is demand driven- meaning that all the immigrants from Mexico, and even U.S. citizens, that are selling drugs are lured into their trade not by the culture of Mexico but by all the people who want to consume the drugs. I'm not even going to comment on the rapist aspect of Trump's quote because it is unfounded and horribly discriminatory. Oh, and Mr. Trump, if you must be so bold in flaunting your wealth, then please, hire someone to get the grammar in your speech right: Mexico is a singular noun so not only is it wrong to say "they're not sending their best," due to the subjectivity of this claim, but it also should be "it's not sending it's best" in order to be grammatically correct.

"We have to repeal Obamacare, and it can be- and- and it can be replaced with something much better for everybody. Let it be for everybody. But much better and much less expensive for people and for the government."

Now I am not going to pretend to be an expert on healthcare and I definitely do not know the benefits and downsides of Obamacare, but good or bad, I would love to hear what Trump's actual alternative is that is cheaper and better for everyone. I'm just saying that though he has extensively calculated his net worth of $8,737,540,000, Donald Trump failed to say one tangible idea he had in terms of healthcare alternatives.

"So I've watched the politicians…They will never make America great again. They don't even have a chance. They're controlled fully- they're controlled fully by the lobbyists, by the donors, and by the special interests, fully."

Sure, because the owner of a $4 billion brand is unbiased when it comes to legislation regarding trade, corporate regulations, and corporate taxes. Well done Mr. Trump, another point for you and your rational thinking.

"We need somebody that can take the brand of the United States and make it great again. It's not great again."

And I hope it never will be because as far as I am concerned, the United States is not a brand to advertise and sell, but an entity of living, breathing people. Oh and quick question: wouldn't improved branding just bring in more of those "crime-crazy" aliens, Mr. Trump?

"Right now, think of this: We owe China $1.3 trillion. We owe Japan more than that. So they come in, they take our jobs, they take our money, and then they loan us back the money…"

Oh Mr. Trump, economists the world over will pull out their hair over this one. Whether or not one supports the trade deficit, even those only basically versed in the principles of macroeconomics know that the United States' debt to foreign countries has allowed its people to have more consumption in the present. Whether this is a good or bad thing in general is still a matter of constant debate but it certainly is not completely without its advantages. So no, the nation's leaders are not just bumbling idiots unaware that our country is in debt.

Let's look at Trump's hypothetical response to Ford's manufacturing of car parts in Mexico: "So I would say…'we're going to charge you a 35-percent tax, and that tax is going to be paid simultaneously with the transaction, and that's it." He goes on to conjure up Ford's own theoretical response to his words:"And [the head of Ford will] say, 'Please, please, please.' He'll beg for a little while, and I'll say...'No interest,' because I don't need anybody's money."

Well, I sure am glad that this presidential hopeful is 69-years-old and still believes that as President, one has the power to just call up a business and give it a tax without the rest of Congress having a say. Apparently these past few years of constant congressional deadlock only affect the "poor" presidents. One more thing: no one is going to openly bribe the president with money, Donald, so I don't think Ford is going to bribe you personally and openly with money to forego a tax.

"'I think that number one, I am a nice person. I give a lot of money away to charities and other things.'"

First, with over $8,000,000,000 of net worth, not giving money to charities should be a crime, so donating some of it is definitely not a sound indicator of being a "nice" person. Secondly, I personally like that Trump used the wording "give away a lot of money" to express his true dedication to the organizations he aids. He clearly has done thorough research on all of the organizations he aids. Perhaps he'll even venture beyond the charity gala to make an impact one day.

"But we're becoming a third world country, because of our infrastructure, our airports, our roads, everything."

So he must have been to zero third world countries. This isn't hyperbolical at all Mr. Trump and is just what our nation needs, a dramatic president who has no idea what poverty looks like.

"Nobody would be tougher on ISIS than Donald Trump. Nobody."

Again, does he not realize that the president does not have total control of the government's actions?

Now I may have been quite hard on Donald Trump, because, well, if a junior in college without any firsthand experience in the "real world" can point out just a few of his irrational and/or unsupported claims, then it really will be scary if he gains any momentum in this race. However, I do not wholly dismiss his aims: more support for our veterans and movements to lower our budget deficit are both important. Plus, if nothing else, he is, figuratively speaking, up to date on the "zombie" craze so prevalent in pop culture today:

"[T]he American dream is dead. But if I get elected to president I will bring it back bigger and better and stronger…"

I suppose there are a few other things to look forward to with regards to Trump's upcoming campaign, like some amazing Saturday Night Live segments. Plus as the great, great, great granddaughter of President Franklin Pierce said, if Trump does make it all the way, "there will finally be a new president to take over the worst ranking."