Diabetes :the silent killer

Diabetes :the silent killer

An introduction to types of diabetes...

6
Diabetes :the silent killer

Diabetes is a group of metabolic disorders sharing a common phenotype of hyperglycemia ie increased blood sugar levels. There are various types of diabetes with the most common being type 2 diabetes.

There are four types of diabetes. Type 1 is more usually found to have an early onset. Here there is an autoimmune destruction of the beta cells of Pancreas leading to an absolute deficiency of insulin. Therefore, insulin supplementation is crucial for the management of this type.

Type 2 has a considerable level of insulin resistance clubbed with a high insulin resistance shown by the target tissue. So here more than insulin supplementation, drugs that can improve the insulin sensitivity has to be provided to patients.

Type 3, includes all other systemic disorders that can cause hyperglycemia, mutations, drugs, endocrinopathies and evenn infections. Maturity onset diabetes of young is a suitable example of mutation. There are three types of MODY:MODY I involves mutation to gene coding for HNF4 ALPHA, MODY2- GLUCOKINASE and MODY 3-HNF 1 ALPHA.

Type 4 is gestational diabetes mellitus, where the pregnant female is found to have hyperglycemia for first time in first or second trimester.