Diabetes complications

Diabetes complications

Hypoglycemia

9
Hypoglycemia

Diabetes is a group of metabolic disorders sharing a common phenotype of hyperglycemia. There are several complications associated with the disease involving almost all organs of the body.

The acute complications mainly include hypoglycemia, diabetic keto acidosis, hyperosmolar hyperglycemia syndrome(HHS). Hypoglycemia clinically is meant to occur when blood sugar levels are less than around 54mmol/litre. It is more commonly see in type 1 diabetics, also among type 2patients.Whipples triad plays an important role in diagnosing hypoglycemia-includes symptoms of hypoglycaemia plus low blood sugar values, and patient becomes better on administering glucose.

If a patient suffers from hypoglycemia, it is very crucial to start immediate treatment. Suppose the person is conscious, give his oral glucose or any glucose containing food. 20mg glucose tablets are also available.If patients conscious is altered or is unable to take oral food, then there are two choices, if patient is in a peripheral set up or there is no provision to obtain an IV access, 1mg glucagon can be injected intramuscular and in 10 to 15 mins patients will be better, if patient is in a hospital set up or there is possibility to set up an IV access, then 25%dextrose can be given.

Hypoglycemia is a life threatening condition which has to be addressed immediately.