When I See Detroit, I See It Rising Back To The Top

The city that lost so much in '08 is coming back to the ring.

464
Shaurya Pandya

I live in a place that I see growing and transforming. I'd place my money that eventually, Detroit and the metro areas will be ready to hustle at the rate things are beginning to change and re-develop.

We've seen cities bounce back since the recession... cities like Pittsburgh, Dallas and Baltimore recover from disaster... cities of glorious size and reputation, bashed by taking a turn for the worst, and bouncing back as cities pocketed by innovation and art fixing the patches torn apart by 2008.

Pittsburgh may not be the steel manufacturing giant it once prided itself as, but it's not doing so bad. The city is a refuge for Silicon Valley companies crushed by the high prices that fly over San Fransisco, it has one of the biggest startup accelerators in America, and as a result, is a haven for many AI and Robotic startups that don't want the high pricing that they would be seeing on the opposite side of the country.

Dallas has become a city now branded by business and innovation that's come out of the hopefuls of the startup revolution that came out of the tech industry, helping to wash out the intolerant brand name it once had. It's become a place for hopefuls to move to and meet other people to expand on new ideas.

Then there's Baltimore... a city that was once reputed as the city of the big, black buildings. It wasn't necessarily rich in character, other than some pretty devastating crime. But do a bit of research, and you'll find that the city has a culture spurring with art, covered with museums and murals alike.

Of course, there are many other cites that are havens of innovation, business and art. But many of those cities didn't face a low like the cities hit by The Recession and still became a city drilled by the comeback.

What you'll notice with these cities is that they are driven by creativity now, not industrial era jobs. That era has left them, and these cities (which may not be as big as they may have once been) have still become a place that creatives can come to and flourish with their work.

The hits of the recession meant low prices, and the rise of the startup meant that other people could come in and grow their ideas. Grow their art, spread their story. The fall of these cities was backed up when innovation came into the picture and got the cities back on their feet.

And when it comes to Detroit, a change is needed. The industrial era is gone. The linear life plans many people could once make are gone. To come back, Detroit needs some startup culture. And I think it could soon get there.

In my eyes, to have a startup and innovative culture a city needs to be willing to invest in entrepreneurs and grow big companies. The city needs to offer value. Like anyone else, it means I could live in a decent place without having to pay a hefty bill.

My workspace should allow me to feel free and create at ease. It also means that the city would help me make a living, whether that means getting funded by a VC or for an artist, getting paid to make an amazing mural.

With the next workforce expected to be the most innovative, Detroit has the bare minimum amount of resources to give some people just that. WeWork has offices to help people get a space. A growing culture of art and rebellion is slowly, but surely, beginning to mask the walls of the buildings in the city.

You can live at an apartment right next to the river for less than a grand a month, and to add onto that, the city has flown back into the world of estates, surrounded by new, high-end apartments that don't cost an arm and a leg.

So yes. I'd argue that the city has become a better place for entrepreneurs to grow, and as a result, it's starting to see results. More than anything, it seems like it's a great place for luxury startups to grow, with high-end companies like Shinola and startups like Skywear Threads giving the cities some class.

Imagine that. Detroit coming back as a city of luxury startups. That would be pretty amazing.

Now, all it needs is the environment, search and the welcoming of a great number of entrepreneurs willing to work to bring back the city. And with Gen Z entering the workforce, I'm willing to bet that time will eventually come.