Social Media Detox

Social Media Detox

It's time to take a step back and live in the now!

4
Social Media Detox
exposenewspaper

Do you ever notice that when you're happy, you talk more? Maybe that's just me but, I have been really happy lately. I'm dating my best friend of 6 years and I want to shout about it from the roof tops but since I don't have any of those handy, I've taken to social media. I have become that person (as most of us in relationships are) that single people hate and to be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less. What I do care about is the realization that I've come to about how much time I spend on my phone and online. It's ridiculous! I spend more time checking my phone for texts from bae or sharing videos on Facebook than I do paying attention in class. I pay for those! When I'm bored, I scroll through Pinterest. You know what I used to do when I was bored? Read books! I have a stack of books I want to read but have convinced myself that "I don't have time". But I have time to watch Grey's Anatomy (the series) for a 6th time? Not okay. It's time for a detox.

1. Find a hobby outside of the internet!

I know I need to go for a run or a bike ride. But I also need to read those books. I should do those things and not share it with the world. Live in the now.

2. Turn off your push notifications

These are just annoying anyway. I don't need to know that "so and so" liked my Instagram picture or Facebook post!

3. Consider deleting some apps from your phone

I'm probably more likely to follow through with number two. But hopefully you're a stronger person than I am.

4. Allot some time to get connected

30 minutes? An hour? Give yourself a specific amount of time to log on and stick to it. Check your notifications, requests, texts, etc.

5. Buy an alarm clock

This may sound goofy, but having an alarm clock separate from your phone starts your day with your hands off of it! Then hopefully, the first thing you do as soon as you wake up won't be scrolling through a news feed!

6. Don't be afraid of some quiet time

Silence is golden. The world can be a really loud place. Set some time to deliberately be alone or your mind will always be occupied or enslaved by something. Aloneness does not mean loneliness!

7. Edit ruthlessly

Social media is fun! But do you really need to create a Snapchat story about your trip to Walmart? Have you already tweeted 10 times about the latest American Horror Story episode? Think before you post!