how to not be overwhelmed in college

11 Tips And Tricks To Conquer Your Overwhelming College Life

It's often forgotten that we are human, too.

123
Kaylee Clever

I think in an overall society college students are just seen as these privileged millennials who complain too often. Throwing comments around saying that we "have it so easy." And, "teenagers today wouldn't last a minute in my generation." And yes, I would agree that we have it easier with some things. Our lives are easier in terms of the great gift of technology. But being a student is ridiculously stressful. According to the Anxiety and Depression Association of America, 30% of college students reported that stress has negatively affected their academic performance. It's often forgotten that we are human, too. By spending anywhere between tens of thousands of dollars per year just on education, we can't screw up.

Education is one of the most difficult expenses out there. Earning this degree is tough. Now, obviously, every sweat, blood, or tear shed will be worth it on graduation day. But until then, here are eleven ways that you can de-stress on your path to education.

1. Write everything down in a planner

Plan out your week in advance so you can mentally prepare yourself for each day. Give yourself deadlines to meet that week. It feels really good to cross something off a to-do list.

2. Make sure you’re staying up to speed with everything that you assign yourself with each week

It can definitely be overwhelming, so make sure there's not too much on your plate!

3. Take a deep breath

You're only human and believe it or not, you're fully allowed to make mistakes.

4. Take a damn break every now and then

Don't work yourself too hard otherwise you will burn the f--- out.

5. Do your homework before anything else

Extracurricular activities are obviously more fun than school work, but if you're stressing about school, getting shit done will make you feel a lot better. School comes first, so make it your absolute priority. Even if that means having to do homework on a Saturday night. For real peeps, remember why you're going to school in the first place. #degree

6. Go on a run

Put your headphones in and clear your mind for a little while.

7. Call your family

You won't believe how much this will boost your mood and take some weight off of your shoulders. Makes you realize there's more to life right now than just school.

8. Take a little time each day for yourself

Watch your favorite show, eat your favorite snack. Reward yourself, 'cause ya earned it.

9. Light a candle, clean your room, and RELAX

When I'm anxious or stressed out, the first thing to make me feel better is to clean the shit out of my apartment. I'm talking windows open, candle lit, music on. (and I just realized I am becoming my mom?)

10. Keep your mind busy

Sometimes you just need to break out into your inner child and print out some coloring pages. My friends and I did this a lot throughout college when we were feeling stressed out! It eases your anxiety and definitely keeps your mind busy!

11. Make it to the weekend.

You can do this.

All in all, remember that you're HUMAN before anything! Education is super stressful, and we've all had our fair share of mental breakdowns. Hopefully, you can use these tips and de-stress this school year!