dress for less

4 ways to stay Slaying On A Budget

How to buy designer items without breaking the bank.

326

Ever walk into the Gucci store and wonder how in the world you could afford that $400 leather belt or those $500 pearl-studded slides? For years, I've tried to keep up with various fashion trends and collect my own assortment of luxury brand items, however, that can be extremely unrealistic and expensive for a person who makes minimum wage at a pizza restaurant. Buying nice things doesn't necessarily make you a happy person but it can definitely boost your confidence, making you feel bad and definitely boujee. Ever since coming to college, my passion for finding the best possible deals has become quintessential for my budget and my closet. I have compiled a list of the best stores and websites that provide quality designer clothes and accessories that your checkbook will approve of! Treat yourself. Have pride in dressing for less, no one will know the difference, I promise.

1. Thrift Stores.

I used to have a very negative perception of thrift stores. I never wanted to be seen in one because I found it embarrassing that while my private school friends got new clothes from Saks and Neiman, I would be walking around in "old" hand-me-downs. However, as I got to college and my love for vintage finds expanded and I started thrifting at these stores. I completely regretted not starting sooner. Not only is shopping here good for the environment by promoting product sustainability, these companies also help local businesses by providing jobs for the community. I would definitely recommend thrift stores for finding vintage Tommy Hilfiger, Guess, Levi and Strauss, Fila, etc. All of these brands can be found online at Urban Outfitters for a hefty price, however, when you get a thrift find it's not only inexpensive but unique, and renewable.

Places to check out:

Goodwill (especially)

Salvation Army

Local non-chain thrift stores (check Yelp)

2. Nordstrom Rack.

My city built a Nordstrom Rack extremely close to my house and I didn't get to visit it until I came home for Christmas vacation. Boy oh boy, where has this been all of my life? I would definitely check and see if there's a location near you. I recommend this store for anyone looking for designer brand makeup, accessories, shoes, and clothes as everything is just past season Nordstrom merchandise! All of it is brand new and the deals you can find here are without a doubt amazing. I found MCM backpacks and new Tory Burch sandals here for the low-low.

Nordstrom Rack Store Locator: https://www.nordstromrack.com/store-locator/p/1/store/712

3. Outlet Malls.

In Florida, we have a plethora of outlet malls and stores that carry past-season items for a bargain. I personally love the Colonnade Outlets at Sawgrass Mills Mall. They have stores such as Kate Spade, Gucci, Burberry, Salvatore Ferragamo, Saks Off Fifth and many more! For my central Floridians, I recommend looking into Orlando's outlet mall options. I was able to get a Kate Spade wallet for $19. Check and see if you have any malls in your area because this is an amazing way to pass time with a friend for the day while also scoring some new apparel to flaunt.

4. Online Distributors.

I love the convenience of shopping online rather than having to get ready and drive over to the mall. Who doesn't like shopping in their pajamas? These websites I have provided are my holy grails for finding couture. Poshmark and Grailed offer lightly worn or used items but I have found so many great closet staples through them! Grailed features a lot of men's clothing, however, you can find Supreme, Off White, and Comme de Garcons in smaller sizes that can fit versatile for women. I recommend checking them out before running straight the retail store for that substantial price tag!

Sites to check out:

Saks Off Fifth https://www.saksoff5th.com/Entry.jsp

Neiman Marcus Last Call https://www.lastcall.com

Poshmark https://poshmark.com

Grailed https://www.grailed.com

Overstock https://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/Designer-Store/211/dept.html