DeSantis Reminds Me Of Archie Bunker

DeSantis Reminds Me Of Archie Bunker

The Bunkers were supposed to be a typical American family of that decade. However, Archie Bunker the patriarch of that family was a true red, white, and blue bigot.

36
DeSantis Reminds Me Of Archie Bunker

Fifty years ago, there was a television show called "All In The Family." It was a sitcom that depicted a husband, wife, daughter, and son-in-law in Queens, New York. The Bunkers were supposed to be a typical American family of that decade. However, Archie Bunker the patriarch of that family was a true red, white, and blue bigot.

The creator of this sitcom, Norman Lear had a thing or two to say about the mindset of the American family in the 1970s.

I don't know if there are reruns of this show on any of the cable or social media networks, but if they are, chances are you would probably assume it is tame compared to the antics of "The Other Guy" that lived in the White House from 2017 to 2021. Mr. Bunker never incited a riot, nor did he have a Twitter account. He was a lot like the Republican politicians that serve in our congress and senate today. Antiquated and disgustingly arrogant about his "White Privilege." I always thought it was a stain on society that the show was so popular. However, it did address the issues of the day and kept the audience questioning their own prejudices.

Why am I telling you about this sitcom? Well, this past week the Governor from Florida signed an Anti-Riot Law, which pretty much is one of the most bigoted pieces of legislature since the Archie Bunker era. And I am embarrassed to live in a state that allowed this to happen. Mr. DeSantis is quite proud of his accomplishment. He went on FOX News and boasted and then went as far as to say the government in Minnesota dropped the ball. In his opinion, if there was legislature like this in that state, the outcome of the trial would have been different.

He insisted the 12-person jury feared the riots that would take place if the police officer that spends 9 ½ minutes with his knee on the neck of an unarmed man was acquitted. Never once considering that with all the "what aboutisms" the defense presented to the jury the evidence was clear as the video that showed his lack of concern this officer had for another person's life.

Mr. DeSantis managed to put a whole lot of other bigoted policies in this piece of legislature. He worked quickly to get it on his desk for signature before the jury came back from deliberation. For example, this law tramples on our first amendment right to freedom of speech. It prevents law-abiding citizens from their voice on the streets of the state by stating that if three or more people cause a single person to fear they can be arrested. That if you are with a group of protesters and someone commits a crime, everyone in that protest can and will be arrested, detained, and prosecuted for that crime. It also states that if a group of marchers impedes a road or highway unlawfully a driver has the right to run the protesters down without cause of prosecution in the act of possible vehicular homicide.

Now, I have attended a few marches in my day on the downtown streets of Orlando. I have also done races and attended festivals. Some of them can become political in nature and some that block roads and highways. I marched for women's rights for the past several years and walked the streets for Alzheimer's and The Lymphoma/Leukemia Foundations. I will continue to march and let my voice be heard. He cannot deter me from my rights as an American citizen. We cannot let him and his grand ole party become the voice of this generation.

This is not a television or even a YouTube video. There is no comedy in systemic racism. We can't shake our heads and walk on by like it isn't happening to us, because whatever race, religion, or sexual orientation, this country was made for everyone, not the lawmakers that want to keep their power.