Depression: It's Not Just a Phase

Depression: It's Not Just a Phase

We need to quit overgeneralizing, and start realizing it's an actual issue.
131

There are two disorders that are extremely over generalized. Those are depression and anxiety. You hear people talking about how depressed they are or how much anxiety something brings. I'm sure that at times people do feel depressed. I'm sure that at time people really do struggle with anxiety of some kind. But to the people that deal with them each and every day, it's almost like we are making a big deal out of something that really isn't a big deal. When in all reality, there are days when we struggle to even get out of bed.

When we start over generalizing things like depression, anxiety, and other disorders both physical and mental it's like we are saying they aren't serious issues. It's like we are saying that people don't need to get help when in all reality they may really need it. Every time I hear someone say "I'm so depressed" it makes me feel as though my own depression isn't real. That I'm wrong for seeking help, or even admitting that I have a problem. And I'm not the only one that feels that way. I know I'm not.

When we over generalize and we make light of things like depression and anxiety it can cause more damage. Because as a society we have taken things that we overgeneralize and we almost mock them. We take things, such as illness or physical or mental disabilities and we make them seem like they aren't even meaningful. Like these things aren't actually things that make a life more or less livable. And that is when people who suffer from depression and anxiety believe that their problems aren't actual problems.

Unless you deal with depression and anxiety you have no idea what it's like. We don't want to hear that you "understand" what we are going through when you don't. You don't know the pain that we feel. You don't know the time that we have spent crying ourselves to sleep. You don't understand the pain that comes with people telling you to get over it, that it's just a phase Well, it's not. Sure, it comes in waves, but it's not just a phase. It's a life long struggle that we have to deal with day to day.

The feelings of worthlessness. The feelings of not being good enough. They are all fed into when we overgeneralize or act like the problems aren't real. Sure, sometimes it is a genuine. Sometimes there is just something that makes you forget that people battle inner demons. I get it. But when you tell me that I need to get over it. That I need to just put it all aside and just get on with my life. I'm sorry no. That's not how it works.

The next time someone starts an overgeneralization of depression, anxiety, or any other illness or disorder, I want you to stop and think. Stop and think about the things that you deal with, that you struggle with, and how it would feel if someone told you it was no big deal.