Depression Kills Off the Nation

Depression Kills Off the Nation

Suicide is not a joke-- start taking it seriously
41

Your life may be amazing. It may be everything you hoped for with everything out on a silver platter for you, but this doesn't apply to everyone.

Depression is a major problem in America. 1 in 6 teenagers make plans for suicide while 1 in 12 actually follow through on those plans. So in a classroom of about 30 kids, 5 of those kids planned never to see another day. Would you notice if they didn't?

Even after teenage years, suicide is a widely used solution for depression. As the third leading cause of death for 15 to 24 year olds, suicide is a prominent option on many minds.

However, suicide is not a solution. Time is a solution. Find the strength to wait out the bad feelings because I promise, as cliché as it sounds, those feelings will go away one day. Time heals.

For those who have never thought of suicide, take a look around. You see that quiet boy in the back of the class? He has cuts all down his wrists. You see the loud girl making sure everyone sees her? She's doing that to hide her insecurity from her childhood bully.

You saying a comment may seem insignificant to you but it could make a life or death difference to another person. All those comments add up, day by day. Start considering others besides yourself.

For the person who is depressed, take a deep breath. It's okay to cry and it's okay to want to scream. Go in the middle of nowhere and just yell to your heart's content. You need to get these emotions off your chest.

Think about the people around you. The girl that asks you for a pencil every day in math would have nothing to write with. The parent that sees you walk your brother home every day from school would see him walking alone. You parents, who went through hell to raise you, would completely break. Nothing can fix losing a child.

You are not alone. No matter how alone you feel, you are never alone.

Find a hobby to distract yourself. You may be a spectacular artist. Pick up an instrument-- that could be your new love. Find something that makes you happy, with no worries invading. That is your constant.

If you are depressed you can call 1-800-273-8255. They will help you in whatever way you need.

If you know someone suicidal, you can learn more at https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/.

Stay safe. Every life matters.