Depression: 3 Types To Know

Depression: 3 Types To Know

61
Depression: 3 Types To Know
www.helpnothassle.org

People may think of depression as being just sadness all the time, but honestly it is so much more than that. It is not about crying here and there, or just saying, "I'm depressed". It is more about not being able to move out of bed day after day, or even being negative in the most happiest of situations. There are many types of depression that people do not know, and if they do know, they do not know what they are capable of:

-Major Depression (Clinical)- A brain disorder characterized by persistently depressed mood or loss of interest in activities, causing significant impairment in daily life. (Very common)

Possible causes include a combination of biological, psychological, and social sources of distress. The persistent feeling of sadness or loss of interest that characterizes major depression can lead to a range of behavioral and physical symptoms. These may include changes in sleep, appetite, energy level, concentration, daily behavior, or self-esteem. Depression can also be associated with thoughts of suicide. The mainstay of treatment is usually medication, talk therapy, or a combination of the two. Increasingly, research suggests these treatments may normalize brain function associated with depression.

-Postpartum Depression (PPD)- Depression that occurs after childbirth. (Very common)

Those who develop postpartum depression are at greater risk of developing major depression later on in life. Symptoms might include insomnia, loss of appetite, intense irritability, and difficulty bonding with the baby. Untreated, the condition may last months or longer. Treatment can include counseling, antidepressants, or hormone therapy.

-Manic Depressive (Bipolar Disorder)- A disorder associated with episodes of mood swings ranging from depressive lows to manic highs.

Each episode usually lasts days to weeks at a time. Episodes may occur several times a year or throughout the year. Mania symptoms include periods of elevated mood or irritability. When experiencing a manic episode, a patient often has high energy levels with reduced need for sleep. Less often, people may experience psychosis. Depression symptoms include feeling sad, low energy, low motivation, or loss of interest in previously enjoyable activities. Treatments can help reduce symptoms. Other treatments include cognitive behavior therapy or psychotherapy.

There are many types, and sub-types of each of these depression disorders. Having an informative background might help you throughout life. People base depression solely on being sad, when it is much more than that.

Sources: Mayo Clinic