Dental Health: Is It Worth The Struggle?

Staying motivated is the first step to staying healthy.

21
Nurtured Moms

What is the hardest bone in your body? You probably would not have imagined it to be the enamel in your teeth. Did you know that the majority of Americans get at least one cavity before they are even an adult? Most likely, if you are not a dentist, then you probably did not know these facts. What is the reality of how an average person treats their oral hygiene?

From what I have collected in surveys from over 30 young adults aged 17-22, just about every single person admitted to being too lazy to floss every single day. Flossing is something that people see as something that is unnecessary to do every day, but in actuality flossing can help remove plaque and tarter underneath the gum. This area can not be reached with just a toothbrush and toothpaste. In order to get a deep cleaning in, you must include flossing or at least using a dental pick. Here is a method to test how healthy or strong your gums are. Buy some floss and floss up! If you see any trace of blood, then that means your flossing habits need to be changed for the better.

I know for a fact that a significant amount of people feel as if brushing their teeth is too time consuming. Many people get indolent and brush their teeth for under two minutes. The least amount of time you brush your teeth for is the lesser chance of brushing every area of your mouth. A mini tip for cleaning every single area of the mouth is to switch hands on the brush. If your dominant hand is the right hand, then try using your left and for a few seconds here and there. Physically, you can cover all of the angles by using both hands. Just don't forget to brush your teeth for at least the full two minutes.

This leads right onto a lovely prokaryotic organism or in an established word, bacteria. Tongues can pick up bacteria without any effort. You may not even realize how filthy a human's mouth is. To get a general idea, a human's mouth is known to be dirtier than a dog's mouth. That's insane! One of the reasons that many Americans cannot change that is nail biting. Finger nails carry so much bacteria underneath them, yet a significant amount of us humans feel the need to place them in our mouths and bite away. A vast cause of nail biting is anxiety or nervousness, but that is no excuse for us to put atrocious bacteria into our mouths and onto our teeth. Another way we do this is by opening items, specifically things we buy in a store where a handful of people already touched. We tend to be too unwilling to go find scissors and instead we use our teeth to open things. If bacteria forms on a tooth, then a film of plaque could eventually become present and soon the tooth will decay.

To answer the question of whether having substantial dental health is actually worth the struggle, just be aware of what can happen if you do not take proper care of your mouth...Tarter, plaque, cavities, decay, loss of teeth, and more. Why have to pay a fortune for oral procedures, when you can just save your mouth on your own? You should go to the dentist at least twice a year to get a full cleaning with their equipment and special gels that you do not have access to at home. Did you know that your oral health can effect your overall body's health?